Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2010 XT
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming from a 5MT WRX that I pushed to redline daily, I'm new to the 4EAT. How hard can I push this thing after the break-in period? I KNOW the engine can handle the 6K RPM, but what about the 4EAT? I'm sure getting it to the rev limiter is hard unless you use the tip-tronic (which is a tease really).

I did some searching and saw that there's a few of you out there that have gone stage 2 and beyond with some VF39 and VF43's . . . so its gotta be able to handle the power.

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
You can break anything with abuse. Just keep in mind it's a Forester not an STI and you'll be fine. Even the STI isn't designed for 1/4 mile abuse.

·
Registered
2010 XT
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry . . . forgot to add its a 2010 XT.

I don't plan to track/drag the thing by any means . . . I just like to drive HARD.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
I've been driving my 04 XT with the 4eat hard, WOT daily for the past 100,000+ miles. Its starting to show the abuse, but have yet to actually break anything. Just be careful, all the mounts have a TON of play in them, especially for the rear diff, and the mount holding the back of the transmission, so try not to have everything banging around too much.

Also I'd recommend doing a drain and fill on the transmission regularly, don't just wait until 60,000+ miles to do a flush/drain.

·
Registered
2010 XT
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been driving my 04 XT with the 4eat hard, WOT daily for the past 100,000+ miles. Its starting to show the abuse, but have yet to actually break anything. Just be careful, all the mounts have a TON of play in them, especially for the rear diff, and the mount holding the back of the transmission, so try not to have everything banging around too much.

Also I'd recommend doing a drain and fill on the transmission regularly, don't just wait until 60,000+ miles to do a flush/drain.
Nice! That's what I like to hear. :bananapowerslide:

Now, are there bushing upgrades for the 2010FXT like there are for the WRX?

IBLMGTFY

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts

What he said... also look into Rallitek's transmission mount insert: RalliTEK 4EAT Trans Mount Insert

·
Registered
2010 XT
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, I know they aren't cheap . . . and I'm definitely not looking to the FXT as a replacement for the WRX. But at the same time, I do enjoy spirited driving and I want to be sure that the FXT (and the 4EAT) can handle it before I start mashing the throttle. I'm still in the break-in period so I haven't really opened it up yet, but already I can tell that the 4EAT is an entirely different beast compared to the 5MT (duh?). Its going to take some learning on my part to make it perform.

I think I'm going to invest in some suspension upgrades to improve cornering and handling before I do any power mods. Probably F/R sways first . . . then maybe some stiffer springs.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,489 Posts
Remember, you can shift from 4 (D) to 3 on the 4EAT. It's set up to do that & the performance is better if you keep the 4EAT in 3 until you're around 50 mph. This prevents the 4EAT from shifting into 4 (D) too quickly & you'll feel the difference. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,252 Posts
Yeah, I know they aren't cheap . . . and I'm definitely not looking to the FXT as a replacement for the WRX. But at the same time, I do enjoy spirited driving and I want to be sure that the FXT (and the 4EAT) can handle it before I start mashing the throttle. I'm still in the break-in period so I haven't really opened it up yet, but already I can tell that the 4EAT is an entirely different beast compared to the 5MT (duh?). Its going to take some learning on my part to make it perform.

I think I'm going to invest in some suspension upgrades to improve cornering and handling before I do any power mods. Probably F/R sways first . . . then maybe some stiffer springs.
We did a 20mm rsb on our 2010x premium, and the rear wants to come around!:biggrin:

·
Registered
2003 XTi Cross Sports 4EAT :(
1,352 Posts
Remember, you can shift from 4 (D) to 3 on the 4EAT. It's set up to do that & the performance is better if you keep the 4EAT in 3 until you're around 50 mph. This prevents the 4EAT from shifting into 4 (D) too quickly & you'll feel the difference. :wink:

Bobby...

So for city driving would putting it in 3 be better?

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
Same here.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,489 Posts
So for city driving would putting it in 3 be better?
I always start out in 3. I shift down to 3 from D (4), if I'm below 50 mph. This gives you better control of 4EAT. Give it a try & I'm sure your Forester will feel much more responsive. I consider D (4) as an overdrive. :smile:

If you're concerned with using 3, take a look in your Owner's Manual. You'll be surprised how fast (mph) you can go in 3. :wink:

Bobby...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts