Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to take off the dealer license plate holder yesterday on my 05 FXT and it looks like the front license plate was just screwed directly into the bumper and did not use the specified holes. The problem with this is that one of the screws that now holds it on is loose. I can probably use some plumbing tape or get one of those plastic pieces you use when putting things into a wall in your house to secure it, but was just wondering if this was a normal practice.

The rear license plate had one of the plastic pieces ripped out of the hole and around the hole was bent too.

I was just thinking jeese if these guys couldn't get the license plates right on my car really! else could they have done.

:mob:

·
luvin' it
2008 Forester Sports XT 5-speed manual
815 Posts
yeah, my rear and front plate have plastic inserts in the front bumper and hatch door which that are intended to accommodate the threaded screws for the license plate.

my WRX didn't have these inserts, and much like your experience, the screws went directly into the bumper. :icon_frown: i bought my Forester from a different dealer than my WRX, so I think it just depends on how much the people care at a dealership in how they mount the plates. Some take more care than others, apparently. :icon_mad:

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,070 Posts
Crappy wood screws right into a plastic bumper just like every one else's.

If/when I get around to it I plan on doing some plastic nut type inserts, similar to what is in the back.
Plastic Nuts & Grommets Page 2

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
The pre-molded license plate holes are for the JDM fitment plates. They don't work with the spacing on the North American license plates... that's why we have come up with these:

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbull...-back-fit-sh-foresters-well-76031/#post843805

Now new and improved, with no overhang. Tucks right behind your plate and eliminates the need to drill holes. Let me know if you guys are interested...

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, those holders look pretty sweet, ill have to add them to the list .... its too bad they already screwed right into the bumper .. oh well at some point i would want to upgrade to the sorts bumper anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts