Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A bit as the title suggests...

EDIT: but with actual spelling abilities.. "how does one GO about getting a remap"..
Really went all out with that title... blame the sun beating down on my head for that..

I've read a few posts where you guys have gained more power, better mpg...

I've looked up remap companies and they all say "suit your requirements", but as a complete dunce on the subject I'm just not sure what to ask for (on the future...not yet)... or whether most initial remaps (with stock everything else) tend to be pretty similar?

I'm mean, obviously if they suit my requirements then there has to be a line... I can't expect it to have more power but do 500 miles on a sniff of fuel..

Does anyone know if there are any plug and play "chips" in the UK? I know a few other car makes work with "bluefin" (or blufin?)...

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,926 Posts
As you have a JDM model that hasn't had much exposure to tuning in the UK, (is yours manual-5MT or sportshift - SS)? as in Alan's thread (below) because the ECU version is "new" the only current way forward is to find a Subaru mapper who uses Ecutek software.

https://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f75/don-kops-advice-795113/

If yours is a manual then the ECU is probably a 22611AK002 or 003

Plug and play chips for Subarus is not really a thing for this vintage.

Have you looked through this thread??

https://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f75/euro-dyno-figures-27666/

Maybe time to add some more info to your profile,- location, vehicle details to make life easier to give specifics.

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
3,067 Posts
I thought @Ianb1234 had a UK 2.5 XT ?

From memory you're Plymouth way, so EngineTuner are just around the corner and do remaps for Subarus.

The factory UK 2.5 XT maps are very rich, so you can make some subtle mods without requiring a remap, but the very rich means you're burning more fuel than you perhaps need to in factory form - It leaves more "error" for poor qualities of fuel among other things.

I wouldn't know where to begin if you have an auto and want to remap that.

What did you have in mind to achieve with a remap?

This is what I achieved on the factory map on a 2005 pre facelift 2.5 XT with the lower 211BHP starting point with subtle mods: https://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/6403705-post125.html

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi all,

Thanks for the title fix!

Yup, I should have added, it's a facelift SG 2.5XT. Manual too.

As it's; relatively speaking, our daily driver (rather than a project car) I'm not looking to do anything daft on it (not yet anyway), but I have read around generally online that people have had slight power increase and better mpg, following a remap.. which sounds somewhat like a win win to me? I'm pretty happy at the moment other than extra mpg would always be nice, as for power, more would be welcomed but not overly necessary bearing in mind my previous car was something like 90bhp (advertised bhp), so the forester as standard is over double that... (again as advertised)..

Really just exploring what people get up to and trying to get half a handle on what this new world is all about.

Thanks for the link tmx! With the cosworth air filter, I've seen them advertised on ebay(?) Is that a safe bet? Worried I'll end up with a sponge from China or something...

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,926 Posts
I thought @Ianb1234 had a UK 2.5 XT ?
My bad - wrong "newish" member.

Still, now that he's found a car, if the info had had been in his profile information for all to see then I wouldn't have made that mistake :thumbsup:

I'll do a Kevin :wink2:

For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Public Profile". Specifically, the "About Me" section (Edit Your Details). This displays every time you make a post on the forum. This will provide information members may need to reply to your forum posts. You can edit this field via the "User Control Panel", aka, "User CP.

If you're using a mobile device, you may need to use a laptop or desktop computer to see all the user tools.

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry Don, will crack on with that!

Yup, need to get my laptop out for the rest.

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
3,067 Posts
For the air filter, you can use Cosworth: 20002270

I've had mine previously from GrahamGoode and I believe Import Car Parts.

I found it took about 3 tanks of Tesco Momentum for the engine to adjust to it. One tank didn't seem enough time for the ECU to learn and realise it is better than 95 or 97 fuel. Same for Shell V Power.
Being a Facelift version, you wont have the pre-turbo cat to deal with like I did.

If you do get a remap, I strongly recommend getting the secondary air pump mapped out if it hasn't been done already.

You may want to fit new sparkplugs and make sure it is all up to date on servicing before pushing for more power. I went with NGK Iridiums but there's Denso and other options out there.

If your radiator is the original factory, I would highly recommend changing that out if you're messing with the cooling system - I wish I had before mine leaked, lost pressure and took the head gaskets with it a few years back - Cost me an engine in the end from a <£100 radiator.

When I first started, I started at the opposite end, with better tyres and brakes first in the way of pads and discs But the ones on mine when I first got it were horrendous, then suspension mods (Thicker rear anti roll bar and links etc - Some parts were from Don from memory :thumbsup:) and then exhaust and other power mods.

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I'm halfway through my first tank of Tescos momentum, so I'll keep going with that.

I saw on another forum that Alan Jefferey (at Engine Tuner I presume) sells the filters for less than £30... that was written back in 2011 mind...but I could check them out.

Brake discs are probably going to be this year, they were an advisory last MOT a couple months ago (wearing thin).

As for exhaust... I'm still in the "subtle" camp for that.. wouldn't mind it sounding a bit more like a 2.5, but I'd still like it to sound kinda stock...(but I know gains can be had)... personal preferences I know, but I've had too much negative exposure to the 1 litre Vauxhalls with exhausts the size of bins..

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
3,067 Posts
Alan Jeffery is EngineTuner yes. It is his son who does the mapping from memory.

HKS did a silent hi power exhaust in stainless - no idea on pricing but was supposed to be one of the quietest for performance.

You could always go with a used Prodrive backbox and fit a straight through pipe in the resonator section - Not sure how much of a gain you would get from that though.

You could always go with a free flowing exhaust, then fit a butterfly valve to quieten things down in town and on the motorway when you don't have your foot on the floor. I have an exhaust bung in my Tomei Ti system and it really quietens things down - it does reduce power a little though. When I want some noise/power, I remove the bung with a hammer and the spare wheel jack handle acting as a hook.

As you mentioned mpg earlier on in this thread, looking at my records, I'm averaging 26.7 mpg on Tesco Momentum over the years I've had the Forester, with a peak of 34.05mpg on one fill up. At one point at the end of 2018 I was doing a lot of commuting work to Croydon on the M23 at 50mph average speed checks and was typically getting 28-30mpg per tank including Croydon traffic too - It takes a bit of self discipline though ! All on factory map too

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Accelerator discipline is something I'm struggling with at the moment... I'd love to do a full tank on disciplined mode but I just can't help myself on a few occasions..

Think the in laws will be visiting in the near future and I'll be the designated driver so I guess that might be the time to behave..

*just to say, I'm not driving like a hooligan or illegally, I'm just being a bit like a manchild with a new toy sometimes..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts