Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 X without nav. My stereo is getting installed today and I need to figure out how to connect aux jack to my head unit. I have looked at pictures of the factory stereo and I can't see where it would plug in. The after-market HU I'm installing has a regular 3.5 mm jack (female).

It is not part of the 20 wire harness so it must connect another way...

Thanks!

·
Registered
2007 Sports XT 4EAT
2,501 Posts
Short answer: it doesn't. The Subaru aux jack uses a wacky proprietary connector for some reason (or at least it did on '06-08 models).

If you want to keep the aux jack in the factory location my suggestion would be to either mod your factory aux jack box/faceplate or fab something up to replace it. You could then use a standard 3.5mm extension cable, plug the male end into your new HU and use the female end in place of the existing plug.

For 04-08 owners there is an aux jack replacement pocket available as a starting point for this purpose (see #6 here: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f104/various-mods-weekend-some-pics-53968/) but I don't know what's out there for 09+.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks smooth. Stereo was installed this afternoon and that is pretty much what he told me. LAME. I wonder if there is way to convert the proprietary connector to a 3.5 mm jack...

It really is not a huge deal anyway. I use USB mainly. I had them put USB jack in storage bin under radio. I might put the AUX jack there as well. I think that is a better place than arm rest anyway.

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Limited
57 Posts
There is no reason you cant strip the wire off the subaru wire harness and connect it to a normal 3.5mm jack. When it comes to 3.5mm jacks, it should be easy if you know what to look for. There will always be a Left, Right and ground. All it takes is a bit of trial and error to match the wires up to a regular connector.

I will be doing the same when I install my head unit and I will post pics and a write up whenever I feel like purchasing the head unit and installing it. I have made 3.5mm connectors work for aftermarket units in BMWs, Hondas, Toyotas, Mercedes, and Mazdas and almost all of them have the wires connected directly to the wire harness and plugged into the unit. This allows easier factory installation and therefore cheaper than having a separate cable.

All it takes is tracing the wires from the AUX to the wire harness and snipping them off. Connect up to a normal 3.5mm connector and plug into the new head unit to test. The only problem is, every car manufacturer uses different color code. Some have red, white and black wires and some are all black or grey.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Chris,

I will probably give this a try. It does not come in via the main 20 wire harness so it has come in another way. I think I will be able to figure it out. It really is not that pressing to me anyway. I mainly use USB (for ipod, USB flash drives, and hard drives). I'm not really sure what I would ever use the AUX for anyway (though it would be nice to have it work).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts