Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the same problems a lot of others are having with cold starts. I hear a "tapping" like sound that goes away after a few minutes when the car has warmed up. I checked the heatshields and the one beside the oil pan is pretty loose. I just can't tell how to tighten it. Can anyone give me a hint. The screws/nuts seem pretty tight, look like they'd fall apart if i tried to tighten them. Any help is appreciated.

Also, I'm hearing the "piston slap" that many others do. I'm using 30w oil, would switching to a heavier oil help? It has been in the mid to low 20's F here lately. BTW, my car is an 01 Forester 5sp.

·
Registered
2009 Forester (MT)
226 Posts
I have the same problems a lot of others are having with cold starts. I hear a "tapping" like sound that goes away after a few minutes when the car has warmed up. I checked the heatshields and the one beside the oil pan is pretty loose. I just can't tell how to tighten it. Can anyone give me a hint. The screws/nuts seem pretty tight, look like they'd fall apart if i tried to tighten them. Any help is appreciated.

Also, I'm hearing the "piston slap" that many others do. I'm using 30w oil, would switching to a heavier oil help? It has been in the mid to low 20's F here lately. BTW, my car is an 01 Forester 5sp.
Which Subaru model and year? Also, are you using 30W oil, or just 5W-30 oil?

·
Pleiads' biggest leghumper
04's 2 FXT's.
9,263 Posts
My wifes 02 Forester S had the same issue & I smacked all the heat shields with a hammer.It worked & stopped the rattles.

joe r

·
Registered
02 Forester L (sold) Manual
1,220 Posts
The ones on our car were spot welded. Not sure I'd do that, but they don't make any noise!

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,069 Posts
the first time a friend of mine told me his car had the heat shield rattle (he didn't know what it was) I leaned under, kicked the heat shield off and solved the problem. The look on his face was priceless.

I've also just kicked them off (usually literally just kick it) when they start to rattle. Most cars I've ever dealt with just had them spot welded on to begin with.

·
Registered
2004 2.0 X
440 Posts
I'm not sure it is piston slap. It sounds (to me) like noisy rollers after a night stood up in minus celsius conditions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts