Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
07 FXT
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

I have an 07 XT with 5 speed. The tranny shifts fine, I know how to drive, for daily driving it is great. When doing a max acceleration pull, it is sometimes hard to get into 2nd or 3rd gear, like there is too much compliance in the drivetrain and the torque is twisting the components out of alignment.

I am running a VF43 with supporting mods, my suspension/driveline mods amount to Swift springs, rear STI sway bar and subframe lock bolts.

I'm guessing there are subframe bushings, shifter bushings, maybe motor mounts that can be replaced to firm things up, but what is the most effective area to address without turning my daily driver into a tooth-rattling go kart?

Would a Kartboy shifter help, or is that a fix for a different problem?

Thanks for the help.

Greg

·
Ol' Timer
2006 WRX Spec-C 6MT
6,091 Posts
Short shifter, shifter bushings (front and rear), tranny mounts, X-member bushings, and outrigger bushings. Of all of these, the tranny mount will add the most NVH, which can be a bit more than you are willing to live with. The rest are barely noticeable.
If possible, go out with someone whose done it and see if you can deal with it.

·
Registered
2005 Sequoia, V70R auto
2,885 Posts
Don't forget engine pitch mount. That definitely helped but added NVH especially upon startup.

·
Ol' Timer
2006 WRX Spec-C 6MT
6,091 Posts
The best mod for helping shifting under load was the tranny mount, but it also added the most NVH.
Try starting with a short shifter and shifter bushings, move onto outrigger bushings, then x-member, then the tranny mount. I put them in order from smallest to largest increase in NVH..

·
Registered
07 FXT
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The best mod for helping shifting under load was the tranny mount, but it also added the most NVH.
Try starting with a short shifter and shifter bushings, move onto outrigger bushings, then x-member, then the tranny mount. I put them in order from smallest to largest increase in NVH..

Good info, thanks. Where do I get these, are they made by Whiteline or someone else?

·
Ol' Timer
2006 WRX Spec-C 6MT
6,091 Posts
^^Best place for rear shifter bushings, rear diff carrier bushings, and outrigger bushings.

Tranny mount here...SGP.com

And for the lever pivot bushings and tranny crossmember bushings go to TiC...
KB offers a good solid short-shifter (Tic has a sweet combo package). I prefer the Cobb double adjustable shifter, though I guess Cobb no longer makes them...

Have fun experiencing less slop in the drivetrain!

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
800 Posts
i so need to do this.. drivetrain feels sloppy right now

dont forget engine mounts!! at 53k.. i think mine are broken

·
Registered
07 FXT
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So Kartboy has 2 versions of the outrigger bushings, hard and "comfort". I'm guessing we are talking about using the hard ones here. Are the comfort bushing similar to stock, or something in between.

Also see that Subaru sells Group N motor mounts, are these worth doing as well?

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,101 Posts
I've got the Group N engine and transmission mounts, the Kartboy front shifter bushings, and outrigger bushings, the TiC transmission crossmember bushings, Group A pitch stop, and the Kartboy LGT short shifter.

My shifting is quick, precise, and next to impossible to muck up... MarkTheShark knows what I'm talking about, he's tried my shifter.
and to my knowledge the Kartboy rear shifter bushing doesn't fit properly on the 06-08 FXTs, so I kept the OEM one.

·
Ol' Timer
2006 WRX Spec-C 6MT
6,091 Posts
Go with comfort, they are plenty stiff.

I have the KB rear shifter stay and it fine fine, but I have and 04.
My driveline has:
Cobb Adjustable Short Shifter
Cobb Front Shifter Bushings
Cobb Shift Lever Bushings
Kartboy Rear Shifter Stay Bushing
Group N Tranny Mount
TiC Tranny X-Member Bushings

The car shifts beautifully, and VERY different from stock. I drove my friend's LGT (which was way better than my stock) and it feels so loose and vague now.

·
Registered
1998 Cayenne GTS 6speed
1,752 Posts
I have an 07 XT with 5 speed. The tranny shifts fine, I know how to drive, for daily driving it is great. When doing a max acceleration pull, it is sometimes hard to get into 2nd or 3rd gear, like there is too much compliance in the drivetrain and the torque is twisting the components out of alignment.
Short shifter (with bushings), tranny mount (+crossmember bushings), may be pitch stop - these, in order of decreasing effect, might help, assuming that the problem is that you physically miss the gear.

But may be the problem is your shifting technique? Do you expect to be able to rip from 1st to 2nd in 0.05s under hard acceleration? If so, you probably need a different transmission or a different car.

·
Registered
07 FXT
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
But may be the problem is your shifting technique? Do you expect to be able to rip from 1st to 2nd in 0.05s under hard acceleration? If so, you probably need a different transmission or a different car.
I've been driving a manual tranny for almost 30 years, so if my technique needs polishing I'll prolly be dead or in diapers before things improve significantly.

Should be more effective to swap a few bushings.

·
Registered
07 FXT
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
one more question

for the motor mounts, are STI stock parts the same as the Group N parts? If they are softer than the Group N parts would they maybe be a better compromise for stiffness without excessive NVH?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts