Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Forester GLS
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've just started replacing my rear shocks and have to undo the flexible brake line from the shocks to remove them. But I can't figure out how the line is attached to the bracket...

I can undo the solid brake pipe from it's female housing, but since that housing is perfectly round, i can't see how it separates from the flexible brake pipe on the other side of the bracket to free the whole thing.

also, any tips on how to stop the loss of brake fluid? I was just going to stick a bung up the pipe.

many thanks for all help

Stumbler

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT Sports 4EAT
541 Posts
get a flare nut wrench and soak the joint with PB blaster, don't remove from the hard mount until you have the flex line off

·
Registered
2000 Forester GLS
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, SpotTheDog, but your answer is so brief, I'm not sure what you are referring to in it. I have soaked in WD40 for several days now. I have a flare nut spanner that will fit around the nut that holds the solid pipe that connects between the brake hub and the shock bracket (I presume the shock bracket is what you are calling the 'hard mount').

I can undo that nut, but having done that, not sure what to do next, as I can't figure out what is actually holding the flexipipe to the shock bracket? Does that nut on the solid pipe go all the way through the bracket?

Also, not sure what are you referring to when you say 'don't remove from the hard mount until you have the flex line off.' Don't remove what? The problem I think I am going to face when I start is 'how to get the flex line off?'

Sorry if this all sounds dumb, sometimes describing simple things is confusing.

thanks

·
Registered
2000 Forester GLS
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Having got my head right in there up close and personal, I think I've finally worked it out.

I just need to pull that rusty little square washer out, then the whole tube will come loose.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited 4EAT
2,000 Posts
Correct, there is a clip/washer that slides onto the bracket on the strut and holds it all in place.
Pop that off and you'll be golden.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts