Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forrester XT CVT
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2017 Forrester has been sitting too long and the car battery has died. How do I open the doors?!

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,319 Posts
You must have Push-Button Start? If so there should be a removable emergency key that is hidden inside your fob. Remove it and use it in the door handle lock.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
The emergency key only works one way since it is grooved on only one side. Remove the key, rotate it 180 degrees, and see if that works. Turning the key toward the rear of the car is the unlock position.

·
Registered
2017 Forrester XT CVT
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
OK, I was able to get the driver door open with the manual key. It's an awkward position and I wasn't turning it hard enough. Comedy of errors - I back-in park in my driveway with driver door next to a wall and slip out the passenger door. This allows my wife to park in the garage and get in/out of the driveway with me having to move my car. So now, the door can only open a couple of inches, lol. I've been going through chemo and working from home. I kept meaning to get a solar trickle charger for the Forrester but haven't (damn chemo robbed my strength and all I've had the will to do is sit or sleep - fyi, last treatment tomorrow and docs say condition is curable so hoping to get my life back soon). So now that I have the door open, I'm going to have to reach in with something to either open the hood lock or unlock the passenger door. Suggestions?

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I'm thinking maybe you can grab the hood release with a garden tool like a hoe or small rake. Or get a long enough piece of wood like a broom handle and hammer a nail into the end of it, then bend the nail 90 degrees so it can grab the hood release. Glad to hear that your cancer is curable but sorry you had to go through that whole ordeal.

·
Registered
2017 Forrester XT CVT
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your help & encouragement, Bill (& Supasta). I got the passenger door lock open with a curtain rod. I tried hooking the hood latch but always have to feel around to find it. The interior manual lock for the passenger door was easy to see.

I have a USB-chargable battery pack jumper starter but it of course hadn't been charged in a while. Still, it was almost enough and the engine turned over a few time but didn't catch. I have a Sears charger on the battery now. Looks like it's drawing ~7amps. When I first connected it the Acc came on and the Amp meter max'd out! Had to quickly turn off Acc mode.

I don't think Subaru though out battery drain situations very well. I know my parking position is not their issue but still, perhaps they should also put a manual key access on the hatch or at least the passenger door.

If all goes well and I'm up to it, I'll take it for a spin when I get it started. Oh yeah, I'll also order a solar trickle charger from Amazon today!

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,731 Posts
@Stringrazor You may want to look at an Optimate 6. You can leave your battery hooked up to it forever and it wont overcharge the battery, it has a maintanence mode and a recovery mode when the battery goes dead - It does a whole bunch of other stuff I can't remember.

Mine has lasted a few years so far and keeps a second vehicle's battery ready to go for me through hot summers and cold winters.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport Lineartronic® CVT
162 Posts
A good floor jack can B used 2 drag your car over enough 2 gain access
Yes, we used to use them to park project cars in a buddy's shop out of the way. Cars that weren't gonna be moved.

To Stringrazor … We have a Mustang that sits parked a lot and once the battery died. It sits on a carport under a cover so before leaving it locked, I pop the hood latch just in case it goes flat again. The window has to drop about 1/4" or so out of the upper channel to enable the door to open easily. This way, if battery is dead, if I pull the handle and the window doesn't drop, I know to open hood and hook up charger for power. I plan to add a pig tailn to the battery and put the end where I can get to it without popping the hood ...… you could too.
I had DLBCL and after chemo, a relapse, more treatments, and a stem cell transplant. It does "zap" you, but I thank the Good Lord I could get it.

Best to you!

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
854 Posts
Thanks for your help & encouragement, Bill (& Supasta). I got the passenger door lock open with a curtain rod. I tried hooking the hood latch but always have to feel around to find it. The interior manual lock for the passenger door was easy to see....

I don't think Subaru though out battery drain situations very well. I know my parking position is not their issue but still, perhaps they should also put a manual key access on the hatch or at least the passenger door.

If all goes well and I'm up to it, I'll take it for a spin when I get it started. Oh yeah, I'll also order a solar trickle charger from Amazon today!
Glad that you've got the door open, yes order the trickle charger and agree Subaru mis-judged the battery and accessories drain in the newer Foresters!

Also happy that you're doing well with your cancer, several friends and family have beat it, but it can be a pita and very tiring during the treatments! :)

Oh yeah, no physical key entry for lower trim models, wth Subaru?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts