Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm trying to put in 7-pin trailer wiring, which requires me to get a wire through the firewall for the brake controller. I've done some searching on how to get through the firewall, and it seems the popular solution is to go through a port above the accelerator that I guess is only used for a clutch component (so I've gathered from other threads). However, mine appears to be in use (being an M/T, I have a clutch), so that looks like a no-go.

Has anyone found a good way through the firewall on an M/T model, especially for '09-'10? I did see a rubber grommet way up high and center on the engine side that appears to not be in use, but I can't locate it on the cab side and it looks like it might be behind the radio. I'd really like to avoid taking out the radio if possible.

Also, is this something that I might have to drill a new hole, or is that a really bad idea?

Thanks a bunch in advance!

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
Perhaps my post here will help. :wink:

Bobby...

'07 FSXT MODding Journal
'03 X MODding Journal
that diamond-shaped grommet is where the clutch master cylinder mounts on M/T cars. in photos there is a round rubber one above heater hoses I used to run wires for my '04 trailer brake controller. (I only wired mine for 6-pin because I didn't want to risk ripping the larger 7-pin connector off.) it is up in there but not quite as bad to access as you would think. just remove the plug and carefully poke a small screwdriver through and you should see daylight from inside the car. didn't have to remove radio. I carefully cut rubber plug a little smaller than wires I needed and RTVd when finished.

have no idea how '09 may be different. :confused:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that diamond-shaped grommet is where the clutch master cylinder mounts on M/T cars. in photos there is a round rubber one above heater hoses I used to run wires for my '04 trailer brake controller. (I only wired mine for 6-pin because I didn't want to risk ripping the larger 7-pin connector off.) it is up in there but not quite as bad to access as you would think. just remove the plug and carefully poke a small screwdriver through and you should see daylight from inside the car. didn't have to remove radio. I carefully cut rubber plug a little smaller than wires I needed and RTVd when finished.

have no idea how '09 may be different. :confused:
Thanks, Woody. That gives me a starting place to look. I wonder if that's the same one I saw way up high. Maybe if I can see daylight, my wire (2-wire 10 gauge) might be rigid enough to be fed high enough and out.
I'll post up pics for others' reference if I have any success.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Success!

Update:

Yesterday, I was able to get my wires through the firewall :woohoo:. There is a grommet to the right side (read: toward passenger side) of 2 heater hoses that pass through. The hole is (relatively) easily accessible from the engine compartment, but not from the cab.
Inside the cab, there's just barely enough space to fit a hand up to find the wires that are passed through. It doesn't help that the heater hoses are bent such that they run in front of the hole, so you can't see anything. I knew that the hole was there only because I matched the same two hoses going in from the other side.

I'll put up some pics when I'm done with the wiring. I wasn't able to finish yesterday because my soldering iron decided to hate me and wouldn't heat up sufficiently :icon_sad:. I figure it's probably the soldering tip, because I've seen them go out before on the model I have (it's one of the Wellers where the tip controls the temperature). I'll pick up a new tip for $5 after work today.

·
Registered
2012 2.5X Manual
25 Posts
Does anyone know if there have been any pics on how to get through on the 09+ years?

The driver's side is pretty busy...passenger's side looks open...there is a big round grommet where 3 sets of cable bunches come together. I'm hoping there will be enough room to get some 4 AWG through there.

·
Registered
2012 Forester 2.5X Manual
1 Posts
Does anyone know if there have been any pics on how to get through on the 09+ years?

The driver's side is pretty busy...passenger's side looks open...there is a big round grommet where 3 sets of cable bunches come together. I'm hoping there will be enough room to get some 4 AWG through there.
I put my cables through the round grommet with 3 sets of cables on the passenger side. From inside the cab I removed the glove box to make it a little easier. I Removed the grommet and pushed a flashlight through. The light is easy to see. Then I just fed the wires through and pulled from inside the cab. To remove the glove box I searched "DIY 2009 Forester Cabin Filter Replacement." Hope that helps.

Now I need to pass my fog light wires through, and it seems that this grommet is the only option since I can't find another grommet on the driver side.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts