Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2004 forester xt
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who in the US has these on their forester or other model Subaru? If so, would you care to share how you got them and what you think about them?
I emailed King Springs last week for my 2004 XT and they have yet to respond.

The lift plus stiffer ride is what I would like, and I don't know how to achieve the same effect easily another way.

Possible other ideas:

1. A 2" strut lift and shorter/stiffer springs, but the 2" lift is not easy to come by and I don't think I would want to make them. I did see the ones made in the lifted thread, pretty sweet.

2. Also thought about a coilover setup and raising it that way, but the spring rates would probably be too stiff to allow articulation offroad, plus it would be expensive.

3. 1" spacers and GR2s with stock springs. This is what I might end up with if I can't get the king springs. Anyone have this setup?

Any other ideas or comments appreciated.

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,594 Posts
I'm not in the US but I can tell you this. I like the stiffer springs compared to the oem. But as for a lift you probely get more out of just buy or make a 2" lift kit (strutlift) as the springs alone won't do alot of lift over time. Basically you gain like 1" maybe compared to stock. I gained alot but my oem's was shot.
You can get cheaper price on king springs from other shops then king springs themself. Tho I'm not sure how they handle international orders. I got someone in Australia to buy them for me.
Good luck whatever you choose.
You need to buy camber bolts for the rear struts because Subaru don't have camber adjustment on the rear.

·
Registered
2004 forester xt
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. Sounds like I need to try some other vendors of the lift springs. Then if no luck, maybe find some dimensions for a 2" strut lift.

·
Registered
2002 Forester
428 Posts
Ground Control coilover kit, cheaper then King springs, preload adjustable, and you can pick your spring rates (within limits of options and what the damper can support, i.e. near stock).

·
Registered
2004 forester xt
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I read your review on these, sounds like a good possibility, especially with 1" spacers. With the little time I have had to get into this, I have many, many things I need to figure out. This setup may be the answer to my suspension dilemma!

I am still trying to sort out how changing the preload to increase ride height will change things. I am not sure about this, but in order for me to raise my ride height to the +1 setting , will I have to max out preload? Does +1 equal 1" ride height increase over stock? Will this max out shock travel? After shock tops out, how will the spring rate change?

In the past I cranked up preload to increase height before on my supermoto bike This effected off road handling quite a bit, I eventually got a longer spring.I know the forester is not a dirt bike...but same sort of principles apply.

Another thing, the picture I saw of these made them look somewhat universal. is there one specific to the forester? How much modding to struts are required? Can I fit larger tires by getting rid of that big spring perch?

So many questions...available spring lengths,rates, are the rates linear, what is stock spring rates, what increase in rate do I want etc......

I have a lot of research to do, but I appreciate being pointed in this direction!

·
Registered
01 Forester S
102 Posts
To get King springs in the US, just contact King in Australia. They're very good about getting back to you with a quote, and are happy to ship to the US. I ended up using a different set of springs, though, so can't tell you 'the rest of the story.' ?;D

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,594 Posts
If your willing to wait, shipping king springs with ship will cost less but will take a while. :N_poke:

·
Registered
2004 forester xt
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its an exclamation point not a question mark. I did receive a quote from King Springs :biggrin:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts