Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Forester Sport XT 5MT
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I crashed my Foz in February - I slid into a concrete divider sideways and folded the left wheels - plus this moved the engine into the right strut where it broke the timing belt cover and cut the timing belt.

My insurance thought it would come in under a total to fix it if the engine wasn't damaged other than the broken belt. The belt and sundries were replaced and the engine ran okay so we fixed the rest of it.

While they did a decent job with the repairs, it's not quite perfect.

The left front wheel is located slightly behind the axle centerline and the engine has a put-put sound it never had before.
Virtually all of the left side components have been replaced and the frame pulled so that they say it's true. It's been to two dealers and a third place to get aligned. Each place has adjusted the alignment and says that it's good and brings a computer printout that shows it's in spec. While it seems funny to me that each place adjusted out what the other shop said was good, I have my Performance Alignment place look at it and each time he says that the front left is off the centerline and that it needs to be fixed before any real alignment can be done. They don't do that kind of work. While the others have some fancy laser system, Weber has been using mechanical fixtures for 40+ years and I trust what he is telling me. But the dealers don't seem to even consider this. Since the dealer says it's okay - the insurance agrees with the factory 'expert'.

Same with the engine - it sounds like it has a replacement cam or has a spark plug pulled. It holds idle and doesn't throw a code and the put-put sound and vibration does not go away with load or increased rpm. I had them do a compression test and the left side is 145, 145, and the right is 140 and 135. They say it's in spec. I don't know if they did a leakdown test - the dealer was VERY reluctant to work on something someone else worked on. (My Kartboy shifter bushings fell off when the retaining plate came loose and the dealer wouldn't fix it as it was after market). Anyway - it's not right and I am thinking that maybe the one bank of cams is off a tooth in timing. I do know that my aircraft mechanic friends asked right off - 'hey, what's up with your engine?', and that any lay person could listen to a new Subaru and then to mine and know that it was different and not healthy sounding. But both dealers say some Subarus sound like that and that it doesn't give a code and that they can't feel anything wrong. Well, I can tell it isn't quite right - but the turbo gives it plenty of power so they can't tell.

Anyway - how can I get a dealer interested in deeper than surface work? We will pay to fix it if they can find a problem.

Anyone have any ideas about the engine? It actually sounds like it's tweaked - the put-put sounds like I've modded it and I've heard comments about that too. I wouldn't mind save that I worry that it's damaged and I want it right before I put in a bigger turbo or engine management.

Thanks for the replies...

El Sid

·
Registered
2008 Forester 2.5X
146 Posts
Find a private shop that wants to earn money and have them look at it. It will probably cost you less and the work will most likely be better.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for writing - the problem is that I want my insurance company to pay for fixing the car.
The car having been to their repair shop and then to two different 'factory service' dealers - and has received a clean bill of health from 'the factory' - they are content that it is fixed.
It does look like I'm going to have to pay for my own repairs (if I can get someone to do the work), and then if my shop can demonstrate that it was a problem unresolved or caused by their shops, they might reimburse me.

I guess now I have to find a place that can properly fix my paint, suspension, rear differential, and engine.

El Sid

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
Thanks for writing - the problem is that I want my insurance company to pay for fixing the car.
The car having been to their repair shop and then to two different 'factory service' dealers - and has received a clean bill of health from 'the factory' - they are content that it is fixed.
It does look like I'm going to have to pay for my own repairs (if I can get someone to do the work), and then if my shop can demonstrate that it was a problem unresolved or caused by their shops, they might reimburse me.

I guess now I have to find a place that can properly fix my paint, suspension, rear differential, and engine.

El Sid

sell it. Seriously it will never be the same again.

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,733 Posts
Talk to your insurance company again. Some of them have a "lifetime" warranty on repairs, and if you want them to pay for it then you'll have to go through them anyway. I'll be very surprised if you'll get reimbursed by the ins co if you pay to have it done yourself, without prior approval from the ins co.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Can't offer any help on the body issues, but it sounds like you very well may have a bent valve.

Being an interference engine, if the timing belt broke while the engine was running, it's possible that a piston hit a valve while open. Lower compression in one cylinder points in that direction, as does the 'putt-putt' sound. The problem is, if it's only slightly bent, it may not even show up with a leakdown test. The valve stems are only 6mm in diameter, and the exhaust valve stems are hollow. I've seen instances where the valve will straighten itself out during a leakdown test, but after disassembly of the head, the valve shows an obvious bend, and the valve seat shows improper seating.

Now all you have to do is convince your insurance company to pay for the teardown and inspection. Good luck.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been working on this with my insurance company for 6 months now (after the first delivery) and yes, they have a 'lifetime' warranty on their work. They have and will pay for things I've come out-of-pocket for as long as their adjuster can come see the work/problem and verify that the damage/work is under the claim.

I was on the throttle at the point of impact, so the engine likely had rotation at the point where the timing belt was cut. The heads were not removed.

El Sid

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input guys - I have been working with just the dealers, repair shop and my adjuster, but today I have the bigger guns in the insurance company and Subaru of America looking into how they can help me find satisfaction.
I don't want to sell the car knowing that it isn't right, but I'm also sure some people won't know the difference. Heck, if the price was as good as the twelve-year-old car it drives like, folks might be glad to get it...

El Sid

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
+2 on selling or parting it out and buying another one. My uncle is a master body shop tech, alought a perfect rebuild is not impossible, its still unlickly your car will ever been the same.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The service manager of the new dealer has been a big help I think - he isn't just 'the import service manager', but of the whole 7 maker plus body shop enterprise. (I think my call to Subaru of America led to inquires about my ride, too).
They've replaced the differential assembly and the exhaust baffle under warranty (I say insurance should have picked it up) and have worked on the alignment three times now to get it right and it is vastly improved.
I must say that the paint isn't good and they act like it's 'better than factory'. I really don't care about the paint much if they get it to run right.
We're getting a lot closer now!

El Sid

1 - 13 of 13 Posts