Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Forester Sport
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
SF5 2002 pre facelift non turbo 2.0.

Christmas Eve, in car heating went cold, engine temp gauge went to high, when I stopped the car steam was shooting out of the front of the radiator and through the front grille.

Is there a step by step guide to changing the radiator?

Also, when standing at front of car looking down at radiator, what is the thin black pipe that comes out a third of the way down the right hand side of the radiator then goes to a block, where a silver pipe then continues up to the top of the engine? I've looked at aftermarket radiators online and they don't seem to show this.

Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
1997 forester stb manual
1,434 Posts
is it an auto or manual ? Its a very easy job but if you are not sure just take it to a decent mechanic who should be able to do it in less than an hour :biggrin: ....you can get a rad off ebay for £60

·
Registered
2002 Forester Sport
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, thanks for the reply. It's a manual yeah, I've been told it's easy, but one persons easy is another's difficult lol
It'll need towing or lifting to take it to a garage, that's what's made me think of doing it myself. I had hope there'd be a step by step guide somewhere?

Cheers.

·
Registered
2006 2.0 XE Manual N/A
1,240 Posts
is it an auto or manual ? Its a very easy job but if you are not sure just take it to a decent mechanic who should be able to do it in less than an hour :biggrin: ....you can get a rad off ebay for £60
Or check the ad at the top of this page:

"Range Of Victorian Cast Iron Radiators At Low Trade Prices" :biggrin:

·
Registered
1997 forester stb manual
1,434 Posts
Hi, thanks for the reply. It's a manual yeah, I've been told it's easy, but one persons easy is another's difficult lol
It'll need towing or lifting to take it to a garage, that's what's made me think of doing it myself. I had hope there'd be a step by step guide somewhere?

Cheers.
its pretty much as you see it really ...disconnect all pipes (coolant will spill everywhere) except the thin black one along the top , just push over towards the alternator , undo bolts on the top mounts which secure the rad , unclip the fan connectors ...the rad should just pull up and out with a bit of maneuvering. You then have to take the fans off and put on the new the rad ....put back together again :biggrin: ...you may have to start and re-start the engine with the header tank cap off to get any air out when you re-fill it with coolant though .
one thing though , mine is an stb Japanese import and has no oil cooler but I seem to remember someone on here saying theirs did . I'm sure one of the guys on here will know but I always thought it was the autos that had the oil coolers to be honest , if it has one it makes the job harder to do at home . Somebody like the rookie will know :biggrin:

·
Registered
2002 Forester Sport
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The thin black pipe exiting from the right side of the radiator is puzzling me? Any idea what this is and why aftermarket radiators aren't pictured with it, even though it's actually part of the original rad?

·
Registered
2002 Forester Sport
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I feel like a complete idiot, the small black pipe was actually coming from the air con radiator so was nothing to do with it :icon_redface:
I've taken the radiator out this afternoon, wasn't too difficult but I could not get the undertray bolts undone, actually managed to round one off so had to do the whole job from above, had real trouble undoing the bottom hose clip!

Anyway, hopefully get the new rad tomorrow. The only thing that's worrying me is getting that bottom hose on tight!!

Thanks for the advice :biggrin:

·
Registered
1997 forester stb manual
1,434 Posts
when you refill the system you will need to get rid of any air ........start by letting the engine run without the cap on the header tank ....let it run until its getting near boiling over then stop the engine , you may find it over spills but don't worry , you will be able to see the water getting sucked into the system .....keep doing this (you will probably have to do this several times) and topping up with coolant until the system is full and heater is blowing out hot air ....re check later when the engine has cooled down .......thats how i did mine anyway !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts