Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester S
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2001 Subaru Forester S.

Has all the nice options. Dealer (not a Subaru dealer) said he'd give me a fob so I could use keyless entry. When I picked up the car, he said the fob wouldn't program, so he didn't think the car was equipped for Keyless.

I bet it is, and his fob doesn't work because of either a dead battery, or all the codes are used, or his tech is a doofus. I've already looked up the procedure for reprogramming in the manual, and read the threads about getting working fobs on eBay.

But I would feel pretty stupid trying all that stuff if the car doesn't support keyless entry in the first place.

Does anyone know how I can tell? Where should I look? I already checked to see if it had a dedicated fuse in the engine compartment, but no luck (haven't checked the cabin fuses yet).

Sorry if this thread is a dupe, but my meager search skills yielded nothing.

Gratefully waiting for wisdom.:Banane35:

·
Registered
01 Forester
50 Posts
For all the time and money a new battery for the fob will cost and to try the programming process yourself, why not just do that?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
If your Forester has the factory keyless entry system it will have a control module under the dash bolted to the dash support frame just left of the fuse box.

If it has the control unit you can program a new fob to make it work. It's not all that hard but you have to follow the instruction to the letter.

Guy

·
Registered
2006 Forester
1 Posts
Thanks for the link to the diagram, I'm having trouble with the passenger side lock working. I will use these install instructions to debug - thanks!

·
Registered
2004 Forester XS 5MT
99 Posts
bring back from the dead, but is the link dead? or I am not able to access it with Safari. :(

update:

I've learned with 98-00 Foresters the keyless entry module looks like this:

this is located behind the fuse box
Part Number: H7110AS011

01-02 Forester has a different module and it is located under the driver side vent. (in this picture: top module is the keyless entry and bottom module is the security unit)

·
Registered
1998 Forester
4 Posts
I have a 98 Subaru forester and mine has a black box like that but it also has a little black box that's attached to the steering column that has a red light on it and one the front says executive 3000 atv. I've trying to figure out what system is in my car because I can't find a serial number on it anywhere.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts