Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester Automatic
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, how can I tell if I have a catless uppipe? I got my '04 XT for a month now and in the process of trying to upgrade only the necessaries as I am on a tight budget and it is a family hauler.

I took these pictures hoping that I took the right parts so you can see.

Thanks!

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
2002 ES300
4,412 Posts
The first 3 pics show you have a factory catted down pipe. The 4th pic is part of the intercooler. The up-pipe (none of your pictures show it) is on the underside of the turbo closer to the front side of the car. You can really only see it from the underside of the car.

A factory catted up-pipe looks like the one on the right. It will also have an EGT sensor on it. So a wire will be coming out of the side. A catless up-pipe that is aftermarket will look like the one on the left. An unwrapped aftermarket one will just be smooth steel. I think you posted a pic of one with a joint/flex section in it in another thread. I'm unsure of what a 2006 and later factory up-pipe looks like.

·
Registered
2002 ES300
4,412 Posts
It might not be the easiest thing to see. And the plastic cover may have to come off. Just follow the exhaust headers back to the Y collector that connects the right and left banks. It's after that.

·
aka DMax in Alaska
'06 Mini Cooper S JCW 6MT
786 Posts
And to add to the confusion, there is the possibility of a "catted" up-pipe that has been gutted. :)

·
Registered
2002 ES300
4,412 Posts
How to check:

1. Get under the car.

2. Find this heat shield near the oil filter.

3. Look right behind it. If you see this (smooth, shiny pipe below), it is an aftermarket. If it looks like the thing on the right in post #2, with kinks in the bend, it's the stock catted up-pipe. (As mentioned before, I don't know what a stock 2006+ up-pipe looks like.)

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,431 Posts
If the previous owner already replaced the catted uppipe with a catless stock UP from an STI or 06+ Forester, they will look the same from the outside. In that case there's no way to know for sure unless you take it off and look inside.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
476 Posts
The catted one will have the sensor. I don't recall seeing a oem catless with a sensor.
Look for this group of sensors by the airbox

If the EGT is plugged in, I would say you have the factory catted uppipe.

Is that oil buildup on the inlet or just dirt?

·
Registered
2010 Forester Automatic
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is that oil buildup on the inlet or just dirt?
It was like a foam coating of sorts.

I took my car to my usual mechanic for an oil change and had him check. He said I had a catted one and advised me not to change it because it is required to be there by law and so I can pass emissions. It's hard to argue with him and I respect him. He's a bit of a traditionalist... the "if it's there then it has to be there" way of thinking. He has always been helpful to me when I didn't have enough money to pay him but I doubt if he was able to identify if it was indeed a catted or catless. With that said, I'm not sure if he's willing to change it if I get the part. I'm doomed! I'll try to go under over the weekend to check. I wonder how much a Subaru shop would charge to do the change...

Thank you all!

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
476 Posts
Subaru dealership will probably cost both arms and a leg.
As for the foam on the pipe, i mean the muck on the clamp.

·
Premium Member
2009 Fozzie XT Ltd 4EAT
553 Posts
depends on dealership and how mod-friendly they are

tuning shop may charge $100-$200 to do an uppipe

·
Registered
2010 Forester Automatic
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
depends on dealership and how mod-friendly they are

tuning shop may charge $100-$200 to do an uppipe
I am doomed... what could I do? I'm not sure if I could do it myself...

I'll check this weekend. Is this a bad sign?

·
Registered
2010 Forester Automatic
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is there a step by step instruction on how to take off/reinstall the uppipe and the resistor mod?

·
Premium Member
2009 Fozzie XT Ltd 4EAT
553 Posts
^ yes either scoobymods.com or do a search on Nabisco

resistor mod is easy, the uppipe can be kind of a pita, I think you have to jack up the engine

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4eat
4,581 Posts
That's definitely oil. I had the same thing on my original turbo outlet.

·
Registered
2002 ES300
4,412 Posts
A Subaru independent mechanic will charge 3-4 hours labor. That's how much I got charged not too long ago. The engine doesn't need to be jacked up. It's just a tight fit. And be sure to do the banjo bolt filter removal while you're in there. That will probably be about 1/2 hour labor added to the bill. And you'll still be able to pass emissions with it out.

·
Registered
05 forester xt auto
191 Posts
Where about do you live in illinois? I can direct you to some shops or I would be willing to take on any work you may need!!! I do all my own work on my rides as a hobby and to save money! No master tech,just a back yard grease:monkey_dance:but I can get done what I need.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Automatic
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Where about do you live in illinois? I can direct you to some shops or I would be willing to take on any work you may need!!! I do all my own work on my rides as a hobby and to save money! No master tech,just a back yard grease:monkey_dance:but I can get done what I need.
I am in Lakemoor up north!

·
Registered
2002 ES300
4,412 Posts
A few more pics to show the internals of a catted up-pipe with an EGT sensor (Top pic) vs. a catless up-pipe with no EGT sensor (Bottom pic).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts