Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
09 forester 2.5x limit auto
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hope someone can help,
am getting 14 litres/100 kms (16.8 m/gallon)
city driving,
i've read i should be getting a lot better than this (10-11l/100kms)
just bought it used with 80 000kms

should i change the 02 sensor?
air filter?
spark plugs?
plug wires?

what would be the most important so i won't have to spend too much?

09 forester 2.5x limited

cheers!!

·
Premium Member
2014 2.0XT Limited CVT
416 Posts
You didn't say what you're driving habits are. If you are aggressive and heavy on the gas at acceleration you're going to get poor mileage. My first inclination would be to say "slow down" and "lighten your acceleration" from a stop. Speed and rabbit starts will cost you gas mileage.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i CVT
320 Posts
I'm getting 16MPG @ avg of 10MPH (city driving). So you need to say more about your driving habits to determine if you actually have a problem.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i CVT
453 Posts
Accelerate like your granny would. Fast acceleration, from a dead stop or while in motion, is a huge gas waster. More than most people want to believe.

'09 2.5x ... Is that a turbo model? If so, then you will never get great mileage. A turbo means one thing: Better acceleration. And, as mentioned, acceleration means one thing: Bad gas mileage.

That 4EAT automatic is pretty bulletproof, but not real efficient. Pretty much Fred Flintstone's automatic.

In any case, Subarus have this "green" reputation. But they really aren't great on gas mileage. The AWD has a lot of driveline loss and the Sub isn't real aerodynamic. They have their other virtues, however.

I'll have to say that the mileage is pretty decent in my NA 2014 Forester. I think the CVT is a key reason. All I know is that I get a good 5+ mpg better than my former 2007 Impreza (with the 4EAT) under all driving conditions. And that car weighed a bunch less than this Forester.

·
Registered
2009 Foz XT Limited Auto
369 Posts
My last fill-up was 22l/100km (just under 11MPG), city driving. Snow is too much fun, lol.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,250 Posts
Make sure your tires are inflated correctly & not as it says on the door sticker. The harder the tires, the less rolling resistance = better gas mileage & longer tire life. The trade off is a slightly rougher ride & if you go too far, the steering can feel too loose. :icon_eek:
The trick is to find the "sweet spot" for your tires. On our Toyo Proxes 4 tires, that's 36F/34R. :wink:

Of course you should take it easy with your right foot & all your Subaru recommended maintenance should be up to date. :smile:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
14,936 Posts
Where are you located???

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
511 Posts
Make sure your tires are inflated correctly & not as it says on the door sticker. The harder the tires, the less rolling resistance = better gas mileage & longer tire life. The trade off is a slightly rougher ride & if you go too far, the steering can feel too loose. :icon_eek:
The trick is to find the "sweet spot" for your tires. On our Toyo Proxes 4 tires, that's 36F/34R. :wink:

Of course you should take it easy with your right foot & all your Subaru recommended maintenance should be up to date. :smile:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]
I have been running 42f/40r with nitrogen filled tires (225/5017 Nexen N5000 on BRZ rims with 07 STi struts and pink springs) I tried the lower pressures and it was sluggish and sloppy. When. Inran the same tires on my N/A 02 Forester with the same suspension I got over 30mpg pretty regularly.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
14,936 Posts
Another one time poster.....Probably wasn't serious about his question..probably doesn't even have a subaru.

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited 4-speed Auto
1,979 Posts
I have been running 42f/40r with nitrogen filled tires (225/5017 Nexen N5000 on BRZ rims with 07 STi struts and pink springs) I tried the lower pressures and it was sluggish and sloppy. When. Inran the same tires on my N/A 02 Forester with the same suspension I got over 30mpg pretty regularly.
What do those pressures do to your tread wear (evenness across the tire) and tread life?

·
Registered
2002 Forester S Automatic
52 Posts
You've also got to consider that a lot of people don't even know that they drive aggressviely. I average 20 mpg on my commute, which is mostly slowe country driving with city for about 3 out of the 26 miles a day. That is winter mileage of course, and I haven't had it for a summer yet. It's a little less than I was expecting for easy drivng too. I can get 26 highway at most. 30 seems impossible unless winter/summer really makes that big of a difference.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts