Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 2010 Forester. The anti-theft & door locking nonsense is driving me nuts.
If I lock the driver's door by pressing the door lock rocker on the inside of the door - then close the door. I think it arms itself after a few minutes because if I come out from a store and insert my key into the lock the horn blows and lights flash. Awful! Any way to get rid of THAT?
A lesser evil is the beep when I lock the door with a key.
With all this beeping, horn blowing and lights flashing there are times when I wish someone WOULD steal this vehicle!!!
Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Locking it with the remote or inside switches will cause the alarm to go off if you use the key in the door. You have to use the key to lock if you want to use the key to unlock without the alarm going off.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Funkeymonkey,
This definately is strange, very strange. I'm glad you pointed this out to me or I'd have just thought I was losing my mind not being able to see the "pattern." Of course,.....I probably AM losing my mind.
Thanks!:biggrin:

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,069 Posts
oh and there is a way to disable the beep when you lock and unlock the car. It's a multi-step process that involves turning the key in the ignition and opening and closing the driver door a couple times in 10 seconds or something like that, its in the manual and listed somewhere on here. That was the first 'mod' I did when I got mine

·
Registered
2010 Forester
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! I'll hunt that down. I am truly amazed that I have to spend so much time "debugging" the vehicle. This thing has "alarms" for things I never even thought of.
When I ordered the car the salesman asked if I wanted - I don't remember the name of the option - an electrical device that would send a trickle charge of electricity into the doorhandle to discourage thieves! THAT was the kind of thing we used to think of in college (except with lots of juice).
I thought he was kidding. When I found he wasn't I told him that my vehicle was Manual Trans......and that ought to be enough to keep the vast majority of thieves from getting very far.
I suppose I ought to change my name to "Old Geezer."
Thanks for your info. I'll spend some more time with the owner's manual!

·
Registered
09 Forester 2.5X
704 Posts
Wait a minute...the shock is real? I heard a few things about that:
1. the theif can actually sue you for that if you hurt them
2. if it's not going to hurt them (to make it legal) then why have it?

But yeah, seat belt click method worked for me too. That little chime thing was annoying. I read another thread on here about killing the chime for no seat belt being on too. But it looked really involved. I haven't tackled that one yet.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seat belt click? I don't know what you mean.

I've been wearing a seatbelt since they first put them in cars...I always wear it. Turning off the idiot reminder would be nice, too!

·
Registered
2010 Forester
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you!
I really like the vehicle. Getting the demons out of it is pretty weird but slowly they're falling by the wayside.

I appreciate your help.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,254 Posts
I think he must have been joking about the electrified door handles. Definitely joking.

·
Registered
09 Forester 2.5X
704 Posts
I think he must have been joking about the electrified door handles. Definitely joking.
:crazy:

I did the seat belt click method to get rid of the chime, this morning. So to test it...I didn't wear my belt. I can't even describe the feeling. It was like I left something back at the gas station...or like my car was missing something. It was sooo awkward. I put it on like 25 seconds after I started driving. THAT WAS SCARY! ahhaah...but seriously.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did the 20 click method. It works! It beeps 6 times and then all is silent. I've always worn a seatbelt and I don't need the beep to tell me to wear it. Not wearing the belt is like not wearing my pants.
The "key in the ignition" is another demon. I don't trust myself to attack the beeper itself with the soldering iron. I fear I'd really screw it up. So, I'll live with that one.
Why do they believe that all car buyers are morons? Or is it gov't regulations that insist we're morons?
Anyhow - thanks for helping to save my sanity! You guys are a great help!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts