Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
none yet gonna be manual...
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I'm looking at buying my first car, and due to the P plate laws in my State the Subaru Forester St/b is about the fastest car I could own, so of course its been my mission to get my mits on one. Well, I've finally found one (maybe,) I say maybe because I can't tell if it really is an St/b, the title says so, and the description, but it doesn't seem to have an St/b badge on the tail gate, or any other stand out features that I can tell. So I was wondering if there's anything I should be keeping an eye out for to distinguish it from its 180hp brethren. I should add, I can't just go see it in person, it's in a different state, but I've got a mate who'll drive it down for me.

Here's the car, though it's an Australian site so some people in different country's may be blocked from it.
1997 Subaru Forester S/tb

Cheers for any help, and sorry if I'm posting in the wrong area, I'm a newbie here.

EDIT* I just noticed this particular Forester doesn't even have an intercooler... the original question still stands.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X 4EAT
148 Posts
I'd stay clear of that car, if I were you. That is NOT an S/tb. :shake: This looks like a basic Forester. You've noticed the missing turbo motor already. It's also missing the hood scoop, momo steering wheel, fog lights etc. Here is what a 1997 S/tb should look like.... Tom's 1997 Forester S/TB

Hope this helps.:icon_wink:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, it's so hard to find an St/b, guess I'll go for the standard 2.0L turbo instead, shouldn't take to much to match the St/b's power output I'm sure.

·
Registered
2011 Forester S-Edition 5S-Auto
243 Posts
The S/TB was a Japan only model I thought? so you'd find it hard to find one in Aust as I don't think many have been imported (I maybe wrong) You'd be better just looking for a Forester GT and as you said you can mod it to get more power out of it if that is what your looking for.

From 2001 on the GT had slightly more power compared to the late 90's ones..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea, we've got a fair amount of GT's around the place, there's a selection of 5 or so usually within my 5k limit, but one day I was on car sales and there was a legit St/b for 5k and I instantly wanted one. Also I was wondering, what engine lives in the Forester GT? what engine code etc, out of the cars on my list it's the only car I can't find anything on far as the engine is concerned.

·
Registered
2004 xt forester manual
10 Posts
alot of people get the gt allso and just put all the badges for the st/b on them as well the cosmetic stuff im pretty sure you could go off the vin to know what model is it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts