Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Sube slushy
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering this 04 XT at a dealer's since 10/05. NIce shpae everywhere, 17k miles, 1 owner and then the boberbrain detailer did this in the parking lot.
How bad does it look and how much should it affect the reselling price if it color sand s out(mostly) or gets repainted. It's the passenger front fender. Stealer showed me his cost as 175XX. and would unload it for 17800.

·
Premium Member
2017 Forester XT touring CVT
981 Posts
From what I can tell, some of the scratches look to be through the paint. Now to me the black marks look to be on top of the paint which may be buffed out. I wouldn't buy it for the asking price with this type of paint damage but I would ask that it be fixed if they want to sell for that price. Just my thoughts.

·
Premium Member
97 s/tb
983 Posts
looks to me like rubber residue from an airline being dragged across the paintwork.
It should polish out but..... Why is it there? And what job as been done on the engine to have the grease monkey make these marks?
That is what i would wont to know.

·
Registered
2004 Sube slushy
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They claim it was the detailer on the lot draggin the hose over it. There's other scrapes on the wheelwell that are not black and may color sand out. Looks like a 500-750. job if it needs painting (which'll never match in silver).

Why haven't they done it yet? Odd, it's a big VW dealer with 3 diff lots and this one's moved to their 'cheapo' lot. Can't deny it's the cheapest asking $$ on the web for age/miles. I'm thinking I may offer their 17500. that"thay paid for it."

Anyone work at Manheim auction that could research the VIN on it?

And Palatine, "He who detected it, directed it."

·
Premium Member
97 s/tb
983 Posts
Jeffn said:
They claim it was the detailer on the lot draggin the hose over it. There's other scrapes on the wheelwell that are not black and may color sand out. Looks like a 500-750. job if it needs painting (which'll never match in silver).

Why haven't they done it yet? Odd, it's a big VW dealer with 3 diff lots and this one's moved to their 'cheapo' lot. Can't deny it's the cheapest asking $$ on the web for age/miles. I'm thinking I may offer their 17500. that"thay paid for it."

Anyone work at Manheim auction that could research the VIN on it?

And Palatine, "He who detected it, directed it."
If they bodyshop is a good one there is no reason why it won't match.

"He who made a rhyme, did the crime!!"

D

·
0 Posts
I'd tell them that you would buy it if they fixed it, as long as it looks perfect, tell them that you would take it off their hands. It looks like the black could be waxed out, you should bring some cleaner wax and give it a go to see what will come out of the paint. Good Luck

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,439 Posts
A decent body shop can match silver

On our accord there were some scuff marks as a result of a retarted toyota driver...

Body shop repainted the whole rear bumper and matches 100%, can't tell a difference

·
Registered
2004 Sube slushy
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My m3 had a 5000. repair and 1/2 respray just before I got it from the son of the guy who owns AirTran. He had 'the best guy in atlanta' do it and it still was off to almost anyone's eye. Them I had on fender reshot and it was still off. And that was from the Bimmer dealer's guy. It's the worst color to match.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts