Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Do you think my car will be totaled out?

• Yep, sorry pal.

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • Nah, it can be fixed. I think. Maybe.

Votes: 26 66.7%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Forester L 5MT
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody.

Maybe you read on my "Joining the Lifted Club" thread, but if not - my car was hit last night, while parked on the side of the road in front of the house. Obviously I'm extremely bummed about this.

A lot of work and a lot of money have gone into my Forester. But at 142,xxx miles, a hard hit to the left rear wheel may well do the car in for good. You can see the wheel is pushed back in the wheel well a few inches and it's even canted back a bit at an angle. The sand in the road clearly shows where the car was and where it ended up. The 1996 Honda Civic coupe was going fast enough when it hit that my Subaru was pushed hard back and to the side.There's deep, bare-metal gouges in the driver's door and more scratches in the passenger door. Scrapes on the lower rocker panels, too. As you can see, additional damage to the left rear wheel well and it's surrounding body work, trim pieces, etc. The freakin Civic hit my wheel so hard that it knocked the exhaust clear off its hanger at the rear.

Once she was done with my car, the driver thought it a good idea to bound up an 8" curb over a storm drain, up my neighbor's lawn, smashing his mailbox and heavy, thick wooden post into several large chunks. Still not satisfied, she careened across this driveway, over the Belgian blocks on the other side, creating a car-sized hole in the wall of shrubs and bushes. Not one to give up easily, and having found the plant life to be no match for Japanese subcompact engineering, she smashed through a large section of stockade fence. The fencing submitted without much of a fight and the car came to a top roughly 5' from a new Camry in the driveway, two houses down from my parents' house.

Both airbags were deployed, windshield smashed. Left front end smashed to hell, presumably from her Bo Duke-inspired leap of faith over the curb and mailbox. The left front wheel was crumbling into pieces, tire shredded as well. No injuries. The driver, a 26 year old Hispanic woman with no valid NYS license. This was specified on my copy of the police report, but I don't know if she has a license in another state or not. One of the police officers at the scene was looking at me shaking his head, "I just can't believe she wasn't drinking..." When we asked what happened, all she could say was "I don't know." Perhaps that's some sort of secret code I'm not hip to. I suspect it may loosely translate to, "Well, I was texting my boyfriend. So, naturally - I wasn't paying any attention. My bad."

From 20' away you might not think much happened to my car. But then you look at that left rear wheel. I start thinking about a broken axle, struts, the differential itself taking a huge hit, the tire and wheel are both destroyed. Like I said before, for its age and mileage, this doesn't bode well for the car being repaired. Whatever happens, it's covered by her insurance. I've already been window-shopping on Craigs, lots of nice cars out there for what I might get for mine. It's at the shop now, awaiting a visit by an Allstate damage adjuster.

Here are some photos I snapped this morning:
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Opinions, guys. I'd like to hear what you think about the potential damage of a hit that hard to the rear wheel. I'll be shocked if it's not totaled. And I'm not too happy with the idea of it being fixed either, what about frame damage? Maybe this was all a bit long-winded. But hey, needed to write it. Venting a little, I suppose.

Thanks, everyone.
Steve

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,458 Posts
The body damage doesn't look too bad. If all connection points for rear suspension are okay, you'll be fine. Damage to axle/diff may be another story. How much do you LOVE your car. You may have to talk your adjuster into fixing it. (If that's what you want)

·
Registered
1998 Forester L 5MT
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll have to talk to the body shop tomorrow. Get his opinion on it. I'm concerned that if the car is fixed, it won't feel right afterward. Yeah, I love the car. But I think I may rather have it replaced with something else than have this thing pieced together again with a tweaked frame or something like that. Have to wait till I have more information, though of course.

·
Registered
2005 Base 2.5x foz
896 Posts
Holy cow, she must have been really moving along...
I'm sorry man but my vote goes to totaled. And I agree with you, if it's repaired it might not be quite right after this no matter what.

·
Registered
2014 CVT
826 Posts
pretty much agree on all points with jgrote, and would add that due to age and the mileage, the company may be a lil quicker to try and write it off, its just really hard to say what goes on inside the head of those companys

·
Registered
2005 Base 2.5x foz
896 Posts
I'm thinking along the lines of axle/diff damage (and carrier) plus body work and suspension. The cost of all that would make me pretty sure they'd total it just based on value. It comes down to how much it costs to fix as a percentage of the car's value. And I think that all that above (based on axle and diff damage/cradle damage being likely) would total it out.

·
Registered
1998 Forester L 5MT
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A friend of mine works for an insurance company. So I called him while I was outside with neighbors, talking with police and stuff. He said, yeah they'll probably total but to come up with a payment number, they don't use the blue book or something similar. They go by what the car would likely sell for in that particular region. So, depending on what the car is, and where you live, that could really be good or bad. He got on some industry websites and said I might get between $2200 and $3300 if the car is totaled.

I would really love to know how fast the damn Honda was going. What's a Civic coupe weigh - 3000 lbs? To have enough energy to violently shove my car to the side the way it did, jump the curb and do all that other damage - she must have been absolutely flying.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
150 Posts
Hey Steve, sorry to hear about this. That really sucks. It seems like you've been able to maintain your sense of humor throughout it though. Good luck with everything!

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,813 Posts
Even if it is totaled out, you could buy it right back from your insurance. Going that route, you might even come out ahead.

·
Registered
1998 Forester L 5MT
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ooohh the weight of the Civic! I thought you meant the you looked up what an insurance company might give me for the Forester haha... Ok, not confused any longer.

Yeah, Peter, had to stay cool about it. It could have been a hell of a lot worse. I only parked the car there 10 or 15 minutes prior to the accident. I had just returned from school, a night class. If I had sat in traffic or got gas for the car, I may have parked and gotten out of the car at the wrrrooonng time.

It is what it is. Honestly, I'm kind of proud of myself for staying calm, level-headed about the whole thing.

·
Registered
1999 Forester
37 Posts
I think the car could be fixed pretty easily if you really wanted to keep it, but you may still have the salvage title. I'd say you've got a couple options.

1. Let the car get written off (likely scenario) and then buy it back for what you can if it's small. Take your payout, and purchase another SF forester, but keep as many common wear parts from the totaled car as possible (windsheild, alternator, rear knuckle, (the good side), some relays, etc)

You could then part out the rest on here, and raise an easy few bucks to cover the difference between what you get paid out and what you have to spend on the new (to you) SF and your ownership costs of the new forester should be lower due to the parts on hand.

2.Same as above, but you end up buying a non SF forester. Still part out the car, but keep far less parts. Legacy wagons could be had for a lot less when I was shopping last fall here. I was able to swing a 2004 will low miles and leftover warranty for the going price of a 2002 forester just coming up on the timing belt service (112 kms, vs 140-150kms on most 02 foresters)

3. Fix the car. The body work could be done for a manageable amount at the right place, and you could swap out the parts from a car with front end damage. Here you may end up with a salvage title and no spare parts, a worse option IMO.

4. Buy a non subaru :icon_frown: . This only makes sense if you can find a great deal on something you'd like to have.

When the clutch died on my older Subaru, I decided it was time for a new car. I almost bought a Nissan Pathfinder (long story) but stayed in the Subaru family with the legacy wagon. I've since brought the old Subaru back to life (repainted, clutch, and suspension swap to come). So my last hint? If you do get another vehicle, don't let the other one sit in the driveway as you may find the urge to repair it irresistable!

Best of luck,

Marlow

·
Registered
1998 Forester L 5MT
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've looked at a few ads for another Subaru, but I'm not finding one I'd like in the expected price range I'll have to work with. Most Subarus under $3000 are older Legacies or higher mileage Foresters. I don't particularly want another SF, I was happy with mine, but if I were to get another Foz, it would be an SG - which are all worth too much.

I have started looking at other cars too. My previous car was a '96 Saab 900SE turbo, 5 speed coupe. I loved it. Interesting thing about Saabs - They're quick, handle well, get incredible gas mileage, good-looking (to Saab people anyway), have lots of luxurious upscale features...and have absolutely terrible resale value. Yeah, whatever you want to call it - they're too quirky and don't appeal to everyone. But they certainly appeal to me. And in a situation like this, I'm looking at Saabs. I'm seeing ads for 2000-2002 9-3SE's, fully loaded for less than 3 grand. Even 9-5's for less than $4000. These are seriously nice cars. I did a lot of work on my old 900 and it was a lot of fun to drive. They have a very solid, well-built feel to them that most Subarus lack.

I'm getting ahead of myself, I do it easily. To be clear, I'm not 100% opposed to keeping my car. Of course not, I just have to hear what the body shop has to say about it, how severe the damage is. And what the insurance company is willing to do about it. If, by some stroke of luck, they tell me that hey, the damage isn't too bad and we'll pay to have it repaired and that's that. Fantastic, best case scenario.

I'll just have to wait and see.

·
Premium Member
2015 OutBack Ltd
3,123 Posts
Hang the b-tch!

Wonder if she's a member of that new protected class: " an undocumented worker"........also known as an "illegal alien". This is what passes for justice these days. She gets off with.....nothing...and you get soaked for another car. Nice, really sweet. If its not already obvious, I'm not at all sympathetic to these idiots.

Sorry for your pain but Thank God someone wasn't standing where your car was parked.....and, for the record, I think it's totaled.

Steve

·
Registered
2001 S Premium
228 Posts
**** man, sorry about this BS, i woulda gone outside and punched the guy in the face, the stupidity of certain individuals affects mankind more than we realize.

BTW i think i saw you by the movie theater in huntington village a couple weekends ago, i was the tinted red SF that drove by you as you were turning onto the road that goes by the post office, i honked and i think you honked/flashed too.

You actually made me aware of the fozzy sticker which i now have and love.

Good luck with whatever happens

·
Registered
1998 Forester L 5MT
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That was me, Fischbeef. Always love seeing that car-brand camaraderie on the street.

Picking up an Enterprise rental Focus tomorrow morning, compliments of Allstate. And before noon, my car will be examined by the damage adjuster. I'm dying to know what they'll do for me. Can't stand the waiting anymore, feels like I've been without a car for a week, and it's only been since Monday night. Crossing my fingers things will work out for the best!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts