Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2009 forester auto
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to look at a few 2009 and 2011 foresters this weekend. Are there any major things for me to look into? Any standout issues I should be aware of? Thanks in advance for any help! I am looking forward to owning a forester! Ive been a Subaru fan for quite a while!

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
15,024 Posts
Engine (FB non turbo) in the 2011 is newer model and has no timing belt. One thing though is early 2011 engines used oil..it could be an issue. The 2009 (non turbo EJ) has a timing belt. The belt, idlers tensioner and water pump need replaced at 105K miles. Also the HG is more likely to fail than the FB. Its unlikely but it can be an issue.

Welcome from Pa.

·
Registered
2009 forester auto
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Engine (FB non turbo) in the 2011 is newer model and has no timing belt. One thing though is early 2011 engines used oil..it could be an issue. The 2009 (non turbo EJ) has a timing belt. The belt, idlers tensioner and water pump need replaced at 105K miles. Also the HG is more likely to fail than the FB. Its unlikely but it can be an issue.

Welcome from Pa.
Thanks for the reply. I am a little confused though. You mentioned HG is more likely to fail. Is the 2009 the HG (turbo is the EJ?)? I hope I have this right. are the timing belt and idlers etc expensive to replace? Is it very difficult to do? I am good with the wrenches!! Thanks again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.