Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2006 X
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always liked a Subaru with a hood scoop. Unfortunately, my 2006 Forester does not have a turbo and therefor does not have a hood scoop.

I am sure it's possible to buy the hood with the scoop (and buy a JDM scoop wish is super bad donkey)...but is it worth it? Since there is no TMIC, would I have to put some kind of protective grate under the scoop to prevent debris?

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,732 Posts
Yes you could add an XT hood. It would be an expensive MOD! An '06-08 XT hood would fit. It wouldn't be functional & it would suck water & dust into the engine compartment... unless it was plugged... :frown:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2000 Forester L NA auto
574 Posts
I've got a blue scoop I'd sell you. You could just graft it on and it would be sealed. I would think that this would be much cheaper then a whole new hood.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
lol you can goto pepboys and buy a stick on WRX (same as FXT) hoodscoop. Would look exactly the same if you had good paintwork done.

·
Registered
2006 X
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes you could add an XT hood. It would be an expensive MOD! An '06-08 XT hood would fit. It wouldn't be functional & it would suck water & dust into the engine compartment... unless it was plugged... :frown:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]
I always liked a Subaru with a hood scoop. Unfortunately, my 2006 Forester does not have a turbo and therefor does not have a hood scoop.

I am sure it's possible to buy the hood with the scoop (and buy a JDM scoop wish is super bad donkey)...but is it worth it? Since there is no TMIC, would I have to put some kind of protective grate under the scoop to prevent debris?
You know Bobby,

I should of just messaged you. You have been my voice of reason since I joined this forum!

I know..it was a bad idea but I had to ask!

·
Registered
2004 XT
3,203 Posts
It wouldn't be functional & it would suck water & dust into the engine compartment... unless it was plugged... :frown:

Bobby...
i agree that it wouldn't be functional and therefore relatively pointless but if you wanna do it by all means go for it as it will have no ill effects on the engine whatsoever. My hood scoop has been pointless ever since I bought the car almost 2 years ago(not since i don't have a turbo but because of my front mount intercooler)

your car, do what you want as far as mods

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,070 Posts
You could always see if there is a local or a member here who has a front mount and wants to trade hoods so they can have a nice sleeper. Paint would even be a match providing members have the same color Foz.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,732 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,786 Posts
You could always see if there is a local or a member here who has a front mount and wants to trade hoods so they can have a nice sleeper. Paint would even be a match providing members have the same color Foz.
I think FMIC people don't do that due to tons of extra weight of the non-aluminum N/A hood. IMO either get a cheap scoop if you are after the look, or go all out and get the FXT hood for weight reduction.

Stan

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,070 Posts
I think FMIC people don't do that due to tons of extra weight of the non-aluminum N/A hood. IMO either get a cheap scoop if you are after the look, or go all out and get the FXT hood for weight reduction.

Stan
Both of our '08 NAs have aluminum hoods. No extra weight. Not sure when the switch was made to aluminum.

Seeing as this thread is about a 2006, 2006-2008 same hood it opens up some options.

I know the aftermarket replacement hoods are steel.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts