Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a long, fragile kayak that dances a bit in strong cross winds. Used to use the car tiedown/recovery hooks on my former Subaru for strong attachment points for the bow lines, but the 14+ Forester has them set way back, so prefer to switch to hood loops attached to the bolts about halfway back under the hood.

With that said, it looks like the loops will be pulling against the hood due to the curving of the hood over the edge of the body/hood line.

Wanted to check with others that carry longer boats if you've had any paint/metal damage while using hood loops. I've seen posts for older Foresters saying no damage (and the use of paint tape), but not sure if they have the same hood design.

Here's the old setup

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
3 Posts
Still working for you?

I’m about to do a similar setup. Is the location of the strap still working for you?
Also, I can’t see the underside of the bolt you mentioned. Is it a screw or is it a bolt with a nut underneath?
Thanks

·
Registered
383 Posts
I did it just like vicali. Mine is a 2014. You can maybe see it in my avatar picture. I don't carry my canoe every day for hundreds of miles. Still, no paint wear or other issues. I will say that in my setup, the tiedowns to the hood loops don't vibrate much while under way. Just luck, I suppose. I think vibration may be more of a factor than anything.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
6 Participants
Even_Stephen
Subaru Forester Owners Forum
We’re the best Subaru Forester Owners Forum to talk about the best years of the Subaru Forester, modifications and reliability history of the Subaru Forester.
Full Forum Listing