Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester Automatic
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I rear ended a minivan with a freeking 2" receiver hitch, and although the speed was maybe 10 mph, my front bumper just collapsed in the middle, and pushed the middle radiator support that the hood latch is on, back.

It moved maybe an inch back, and the geometry is such that the hood latch moved down in the process. So after the accident, the latch was super tight and hard to open and get shut again.

Today I straightened things out. Must have over done it, or more likely the hook on the hood and or the latch mechanicals are stretched.

Now the hood is about 3/4" high when latched on the driver side. Lays flat on the passenger side.

Is there a formal way to ajust that latch? Maybe I can take the hood "hook" off and beat it down a smidge. I of course could start bashing my center radiator support back to where it was I guess.

Ideas....

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,874 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 Forester Automatic
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's kinda what I feared.... Subaru does not support a lot of variation here. Well, tomorrow I will commence to try some farmer style adjustments. Hammer and shims....

I have the 2005 body rebpair manual. It would seem to suggest that the WHOLE front rad support should be drilled off and replaced. Crazy of course for a 14 yo vehicle.

·
Registered
2005 Forester Automatic
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, upon closer inspection, the holes in the lock assembly behind the bolts that hold it on are oval and allow for some adjustment. Its in the pics about this from 2.5_Sleeper.

However, my adjustment is used up. My dremel is out on loan to a friend, so I tried to extend the holes with a reamer. Did not work so well. Need to ask for my dremel back, or get a mean rat-tail file and make them a couple mm longer. I think that will lower the hood back down enough to make it look acceptable and avoid excessive rain and air getting in......

1 - 5 of 5 Posts