Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new 2010 Forester Limited two weeks ago. Great car.

Does the genuine Subaru remote start cause the car to honk when started? The aftermarket one I have does what sounds like the first honk of the panic cycle when it starts via the remote.

The salesguy sold me an aftermarket remote starter, saying that it was "just like" the genuine Subaru remote start. So... does the Subaru remote start do that? Is there a way to make the car stop hollering when I hit the remote start?

·
Registered
2018 ForesterXT Touring..
2,736 Posts
I've got the Subaru remote start on mine. You have to hit the button once, hearing a quick beep(horn), then press a second, also hearing another quick beep. It then takes aprox. 10 sec. to start the engine, followed by another quick beep meaning it started. As far as I know it can't be silenced. Mind you, it doesn't bother me, so I haven't tried.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got the Subaru remote start on mine. You have to hit the button once, hearing a quick beep(horn), then press a second, also hearing another quick beep. It then takes aprox. 10 sec. to start the engine, followed by another quick beep meaning it started. As far as I know it can't be silenced. Mind you, it doesn't bother me, so I haven't tried.
This aftermarket remote starter is quite different. It actually activates the alarm for a moment... I hear the same honk I'd hear if I hit the panic button. But just once.

I don't know why, but my dealer had a third party install this aftermarket remote start. I spoke to the installer after posting in this forum. They're telling me that the only permanent way around it is to either 1) disconnect the horn; or 2) disable the factory alarm. I am unwilling to do either.

The workaround is to unlock the car with the Subaru remote, hit the remote start, then lock the car with the Subaru remote. And it just makes me angry every time I do that.

What pisses me off about all this is that the salesperson told me that the aftermarket remote start is "exactly like" the factory Subaru remote start, even going so far as to tell me they're made by the same manufacturer. Either the dealer was misinformed or they simply lied.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
3 Posts
Starter Honk

My 2010 with OEM starter does the short horn honk when the button is pressed the first time and and a second honk when it is pressed the second time and it starts. Both honks are very short and not annoying. The only thing I don't like about the OEM starter is that I seem to have a very limted range of about 210 feet line of sight and no obstructions.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
239 Posts
I have the Subaru remote starter and I followed the included instructions to make it silent..no beeps or honks...it does turn the parking lights on (if the headlights are off) so I can see it from where I usually park in the winter (the airport or the garage). The range kinda blows...but it works for my current situation. If I did it again I'd get the New gen viper (I think) that works with your iPhone ! Remotely from anywhere ..sweet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies, all.

It seems like my dealer outright lied to me regarding the aftermarket remote start - it is NOT "just like" the Subaru remote start.

That's what has my panties in a bunch, honestly. I would have been happy to pay for the Subaru OEM remote start but was assured that this aftermarket one was identical. They even told me it was made by the same manufacturer as the OEM part. If true, it's certainly a different model.

This isn't the only problem I have with the dealer - they also paid off our trade-ins late and sent the title (needed for license plates) late. If you're in the Cincinnati, Ohio area, avoid Subaru of Beechmont. They suck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts