Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
MY06 Forester X 5M
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Awhile ago my girlfriend dripped honey onto the drivers window "Auto" switch on her 05 X whilst trying to eat breakfast and drive to work. To be honest, she was probably applying make up and doing her hair at the same time too :shake:

She's normally pretty good at multitasking, however she must've been having an off day, because I'm here now.

By the time this was mentioned to me, the switch was only working intermittently, and it was pretty much stuck up.

I've got the switch unit out of the door now as I want to start by cleaning it out. I just can't seem to get the switch lever apart to get the honey out.

Anyone pulled these apart before? Got some tips on how to?

By the way, the circuit board was spared, just the lever part got doused in honey.

Cheers. M

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 2.5x Auto
346 Posts
Sticky switch?

Designers usually make parts to go together easy, not to be taken apart.

It sounds like the pivot is gummed up. Maybe you could turn the assembly upsidedown and submerge the offending button in some distilled water up to the pivot. It may dissolve the honey. Rinse. Keep the PC board dry.

If you end up prying the button, heat it first with a hair dryer to make the plastic more flexible.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts