Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5X
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey folks. Thought I would post this here since you all have been extremely helpful in the past.
Due to lack of spare time I took my 2005 Pilot EX to a local dealer for a rear diff fluid change. When I got the vehicle back they had charged me $88.32 for 3qts of "BG Manual transmission fluid" or $29.44/Qt. Has anyone heard of BG transmission oil? I thought you were only supposed to use Honda VTM-4 fluid. Any ideas or suggestions what I should do? Should I take it back and demand Honda VTM-4?
They used the 75W80 Synchro shift II (product 792)stuff. I just called them and they said it is better than the Honda fluid and they use it all the time for them. I dunno if there is something "magical" about the Honda fluid but folks seem adamant about not using any other stuff in the "rear diff"

Thanks!!
Semper Fi

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,409 Posts
The very first thing that is surprising is that Honda recommends using a GL-4 fluid in the rear diff. The hypoid gears in differentials generate a tremendous amount of force, and GL-4 fluids are not readily able to handle those types of shear stress (that's why you can't use GL-4 fluids in Subaru transmissions).

Knowing that, I would be extremely wary of putting anything but what Honda recommends in the car. I'd take it back. You paid for a Honda service using Honda fluids. They may or may not change the fluid, but you should at least get a receipt that they replaced the BG Synchroshift with Honda VTM-4, should anything come up with warranty.

Also, they charged you ~$12 more per quart than you can buy that fluid anywhere else for.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5X
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks! I do not know what the specs for the Synchro Mesh II are but the folks at Wastlerautoservice kept saying it was much better than the Honda fluids, more detergents, etc. I contacted BG and asked them if this was an approved use for their stuff. I will let you know what happens!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts