Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
'03 XS MT PSM
2015 Ford Focus ST
2,371 Posts
No worries unless you have big holes in your wheel well liner. I've been running a CAI that just sticks right into the fender for over 2 years now... Driven through hard rain, splashed through big puddles, etc. No water was ingested.

·
I Heart Beer
2000 Forester L
714 Posts
i basically used the directions on scooby mods and made my own, i'm not worried about sucking up water or anything either, i've had the intake on for a few months now, driven through half a foot of snow and through many rain storms and no problems thus far

·
Registered
2001 Forester S 5 MT
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I have already cut the piping and so I will glue it and install it this weekend.

·
Registered
2010 dodge caravan auto
1,748 Posts
well I finally caved in and went to home depot to do this it cost me $30 I bought a big piece of pipe just incase I screwed up
I got to say this was VERY EASY to do, It only took me 20min, and u can feel the differance

·
Registered
2001 SOLD!
1,412 Posts
Was at Home Depot today in the $hitter pipe section myself looking at odds and ends. Wasn't sure what i needed since i saw the picture about a month ago. Going to do this mod as well.

I'm sure it will work well. Recently i removed the snorkus pipe from the filter intake. I noticed a big difference with my Magnaflow. More oumph!!!! throughout the band. I also noticed an exhaust tone change. Not as noisy!!!! Go figure:think:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Would I notice an improvement if I fit this on my vehicle? I don't have any mods right now, but for the price, this seems like it might be worthwhile. Unless it makes the ride much louder.

I took a look under the hood, and noticed all sorts of twists and turns in my intake. Are these all for silencing, or do they serve some other purpose?

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
It won't make anything louder unless you get on the go pedal. When you do, more NVH is transmitted to the cabin.

·
Premium Member
2012 camry se 6AT
2,809 Posts
Since we are showing off custom CAIs...

Mine is a one piece I purchased through PDM-Racing awhile back when it was stocked and cut inhouse. PDM-Racing no longer sells the one piece pipe but you maybe able to find something similiar at a hardware store. mikebike357 has a homemade CAI pipe made of two pieces of alumimum piping I sent him.

·
Registered
2010 dodge caravan auto
1,748 Posts
after a few days with this in, I can feel the differance!!!! the cheapest mod I ever did

·
Registered
2001 SOLD!
1,412 Posts
Bought the stuff yesterday. Got the part onto filter airbox snorkel 3" to 2" part. I drove it tonight. Holy crap the car wants to fly now!!! I'll install the rest later!!!

I also changed my spark plug wires on Friday after work. It helped too since i was getting misfire at low revs. Connector on spark plug #2 was corroded and it stayed stuck on #2... that's right next to the battery. :tempertantrum The tightest part on the bloody engine!!!

Anyway...going to be a cheap alternative on getting cooler air.:clap1:

G

·
i have a 2005 x, i was just curious what any of you have done with the sensor in the air intake.. every image i've seen is of an older forester.

i'm just looking for the cheapest most effective upgrades.

anyone notice a difference using a grounding kit? i wish there were all those old posts. the only project i finished was the stereo.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Anyone know a place selling this? I like the idea of keeping the stock air filter/box for better low end torque.

tre36 said:
Since we are showing off custom CAIs...

Mine is a one piece I purchased through PDM-Racing awhile back when it was stocked and cut inhouse. PDM-Racing no longer sells the one piece pipe but you maybe able to find something similiar at a hardware store. mikebike357 has a homemade CAI pipe made of two pieces of alumimum piping I sent him.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring CVT
790 Posts
MY00Forest said:
i basically used the directions on scooby mods and made my own, i'm not worried about sucking up water or anything either, i've had the intake on for a few months now, driven through half a foot of snow and through many rain storms and no problems thus far

did you use 3" pvc pipe? i went to buy the stuff today and didnt know wether to get 2'' or 3'' and how much to get? also some of the couplers didnt seem like they would fit. also do you need to glue the pieces or do they seal tight enough

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
3 inch piping would be optimal for an intake. when i did the home made cai the coupler all fit on very tight and snug, no glue was needed.

You'll still see way more gain from a true Cai than these home made ones. I loved the home made one when i 1st did it with no exhaust mods, it really made that deep vroooom.

my diy piping is just sitting in my garage now along with my k&n panel filter, maybe ill make a FS thread

·
Registered
790 Posts
i think i might try it today then....do you just use a hack saw to cut the pipe?

·
Registered
790 Posts
did mine today and looks almost identical to my00forest except i used black abs pipe instead of pvc. dont really notice much difference yet other than a slight growl but maybe the ecu just has to learn

·
Registered
441 Posts
Is just my opinion but those homemade intake are ugly, why can u guys spend silly $60 for a ebay intake that is way better in looks an is the same in performance.

·
Registered
790 Posts
from my experience with 3 different cars and a automatic if you lose the stock filter box you lose a lot of low end. not to mention intakes are pretty much useless in terms of HP for a n/a car(maybe 1-5 at most). i spent 200 bucks on a CAI for my maxima which in turn made my car slower than it was with the stock airbox. at least now i get a slight gain from my air intake, a nice little growl and it cost me 20 bucks. plus my engine is dirty and i dont really want anyone to see it anyway

1 - 20 of 71 Posts