Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
04 forester xt
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It all started while on a short drive to the market last night.
My right front/right rear blinkers started blinking and I couldnt turn them off.
Parked the car, took the keys out, still blinking.
While playing with the blinker control and flasher button inside, the alarm went off.
Disarmed the alarm, but the blinkers were still going...I disconected the battery and went in the house to read the drivers manual to find no helpful info.
I decided to take the turn signal fuse out so that I may make it to work at 7am, but to my dismay, now the fricken starter is disabled!
Back to the manual to find all kinds of info about how to arm the vehicle in 3 different modes. But, you guessed it, no info on how to disable it. At this point though I have no idea if the alarm is even the problem.
Has this happened to anyone else?
If you read this, and you know what the deal is, please let me know asap. :Banane37:

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,813 Posts
Only the right turn signal? Hmmmmm. My first guess if it was me would be to pull the hazard and turn signal relays to see if either of those stop it. (or, better yet, find out which one is making the "clicking" sound when the right signal is blinking with the key out.

If I pulled that relay and it stopped, then I would replace it with a new one to see if that fixes it.

BUT, the keyless entry system/alarm uses the turn signals, so I would pull the keyless/alarm fuse (if there is one) to see if it stops as well.

You could also possibly just pull the battery terminals and wait a half hour just to see if something just got electrically confused. I'm not sure honestly, these are just what I would do if I were in your shoes.

·
Registered
04 forester xt
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like a virus.
Well I woke up early and went down to the ATT store and got myself an Iphone. Sure enough! There was an app for that....Hahaha.
I couldnt find a security fuse...Theres so much more to the story now being as I worked on the car until 2am in the rain last night.
Pulled any fuse I could find related to the flashers or blinkers, disconected the battery a few more times, read the manual cover to cover. Pulled a few more fuses. put em back in...Bam! The beast started. Idled funny (struggling)
Check engine light came on, then the cruise control light started blinking. Went around the block, couldnt turn off cruise control, but it didnt work either...Decided to go to bed.

This morning, I had to get to work (24 miles away) so I went out and checked all my fluids (in the car) all was good. The check engine light was still on as well as the blinking cruise control. The idle was good though.
Drove mellow and about half way stopped to get coffee.
When I started up the car it idled bad again...As I was pulling out onto the street it died. Immediately, some lady behind me starts honking. (another story)
Anyhow, I put it in park and tried to start it.
Started right up and the check engine light and cruise control light were off.
Idles purrrfectly and cruise works now. ***!!!
I'm at 56000 miles right now. I guess I'll go in for service. Might as well change the timing belt. I have no idea what to ask them to look for though...Might just give them an extra $1000 and call it good. Because I know I'll get charged big for the snipe hunt anyway.

-Dave

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
Are all the fuses back in?

What year is it?

IF its an 03-08 try pulling out the hazard switch. It controls both the hazards AND the blinkers, its possible that it might have failed and pulling fuses messed something up afterward.

·
Registered
04 forester xt
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are all the fuses back in?

What year is it?

IF its an 03-08 try pulling out the hazard switch. It controls both the hazards AND the blinkers, its possible that it might have failed and pulling fuses messed something up afterward.
Nope! All of the fuses were pulled one at a time, then battery cable disconected/reconnected. All of the fuses are good. It's an O4.
The problem lies somewhere in the security system or ecu.
Working fine now though.

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT Limited
1,956 Posts
There’s an app for that.

Sorry couldn’t resist. :biggrin:
Dude sorry to hear about the OP's problems, that would suck.,,
but "there's and app for that" was funny as hell..

Again I am really sorry about your issue. That would be frustrating.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts