Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport 24 Lineartronic CVT w/X-MODE
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just purchased a new 2019 Subaru Sport. We did not notice until we got home the next day that there is a hole under the passengers floor mat that is closed by staples. I've never seen exposed staples in carpet in a new car. Does anyone know what this could be?

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,244 Posts
G'day & Welcome @BigDaveHuddy

I can't comment as I have a different model.

BTW:

For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Public Profile". Specifically, the "About Me" section (Edit Your Details). This displays every time you make a post on the forum. This will provide information members may need to reply to your forum posts. You can edit this field via the "User Control Panel", aka, "User CP.

If you're using a mobile device, you may need to use a laptop or desktop computer to see all the user tools.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you,

Kevin,

Thank you for the quick reply and tip on the profile. I added some details I hope that helps out.

Thanks again.

Dave

·
Registered
2017 Forester
312 Posts
I can’t find the comments but I’m positive I recall several posters identifying the reason for this opening in the carpet. So if my recollection is correct, this is normal.

·
Registered
19 19 Touring, 17TrgXT CVT
632 Posts
The VIN number for your vehicle is underneath the flap

I posted the same question in another thread when we got our 19 Touring @BigDaveHuddy See the link below. Some sharp eyed forum member found what it was in the owners manual. I took a black sharpie to gray out the carpet seam line, and used the same sharpie to cover over the staples to sort of "stealth" the flap. The staples actually hold a plastic tongue underneath to keep the flap in place. You can actually pull the flap out and see the stamped VIN number. Why they chose to do this is beyond me.

https://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f151/2019-subaru-forester-789257/index106.html#post7463737

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you very much

Thank you all for the response, my wife was loosing her mind as to why they would cut a hole in the carpet but it makes sense now, although not much knowing the VIN is all over the place.

Anyway thank you again for the input.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,830 Posts
Reactions: Natedog

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Touring Cat
2 Posts
Honda does the same thing on the CR-V by the passenger seat,,there is a plastic flap that opens and the Vin is stamped there. I believe it is there,for auto theft reasons just as every car has confidential bin I’d numbers stamped all,over the car, between body parts..etc.
Police know where these numbers are and use them if a vehicle was purchased as salvage and they need to trace parts used in the reconstruction of the vehicle

·
Registered
1 Posts
We just purchased a new 2019 Subaru Sport. We did not notice until we got home the next day that there is a hole under the passengers floor mat that is closed by staples. I've never seen exposed staples in carpet in a new car. Does anyone know what this could be?

I just took delivery of a 2021 Touring, and it has this exact same thing (as well as the issue pointed out on another thread about the posts for the driver side floor mat connecting to brackets which also lead to 2 large cutouts. I have to say, (especially for the highest trim level) this is the cheapest-donkey fit and finish defect I've ever seen. Subaru won't call it a defect because it's "designed that way" but that just means their design sucks. There are a million other places to stamp a VIN where it could be looked it (hey, how about all of the metal under the body that a flashlight can see?), and this seems like incredibly lazy design, down to the staples that look like a child applied. Both this flap and the driver seat flaps are positions to allow dirt, dust and water to easily get under them. I really hope the rest of the quality of the car is better.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts