Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

321 - 337 of 337 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Forester S 5spd MT
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #323
Hey!

stumbled across your thread... I remember you from 2013 dream cruise! I had that 2004 Forester XT on the Gold RPF1...

Great to see the car is back in MI...

Whats the latest?

-Anthony
Yeah haha! I remember that. Been following your bugeye and sf on instagram, looking good.

Right now its in storage at a buddies garage for the winter. When my brother gets a new house in the spring he'll move it over and be able to work on it.

Last I saw it the car wasnt cranking over anymore, not sure why at them moment.

·
Registered
1999 Forester S 5spd MT
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #325 (Edited)
Updated the OP to fill in all the details of the story. This marks Part 2 of the build now that the car is back in my life.

yesterday I repinned and wired the CPS connector because the wiring had been pierced by hardened heat wrap. I also buffed and Por15'd the seat mounts on the seat, and in the car because I had never got around to it. I ended up doing the rear bumper too. I remounted the hood scoop and finally got it bolted on to the hood. If anyone has questions on how I mounted an 04 STi scoop, or an 04 FXT radiator to the car, feel free to ask, because it is annoying process, but it does work.

I will be updating this journal and my Instagram again for anyone who cares to follow this car again.

Hogan

·
Registered
1999 Forester S 5spd MT
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #326 (Edited)
Took care of a couple things over the last few days.
- installed and wired oil temp sensor in the rear galley plug
- new front o2 sensor
- blocked off the passenger side tgv motor (tgv is deleted anyway) to fit the intake better
- fixed the rear trunk latch, was stuck open and wouldnt hold closed
- mounted the power steering resevoir. I think the bracket I used was off an 04, so I just ground down the abs module bracket and bolted it there.
- installed the MAF and SPT intake
- revised my fuel line setup. Mounted the filtre to the engine bay and swapped a couple lines around. Fits much better.

TGV block off, the motor was getting in the way of my large inlet.

The fuel pressure regulator, dampers, and rails are off of an 09 STI, but I'm also running it was a forester fuel filtre as an extra precaution as those cars only had in-tank filtre bags, so its a tight squeeze.

Next, I need to get the cooling system sorted and re-attach the steering column. Getting the steering column into the yoke, while also making sure the firewall grommet doesn't pop out must be one of the most frustrating things I've done on this car. Otherwise all the wiring has been organised and bolted in, so I can put the dash back in.

Also need to start the car on the new basemap, then change the oil, and drain the fuel out again as we only put 87 in last time. Heading away for labour day weekend so that should all take place next week.

Hogan

·
Registered
1999 Forester S 5spd MT
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #327
Reinstalled the steering column last night because previously it hadn't been seated properly in the firewall grommet. Have it all bolted up and theres no movement in the column.

Must be the worst job to do on the car, because every time you're close, the grommet pops out..

The column was holding up progress, so now the seats and interior can go back in. Also need to pickup some coolant and finish off the radiator mounts.

·
Registered
1999 Forester S 5spd MT
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #328
The ebay FXT aluminum rad is in. Had to trim the ends of the gates rad hoses to fit right. The stock fxt brackets do fit with the rubber bushing flipped upside down. The radiator definitely sits higher than I want it to, and I had to gut a piece out of the hood to get it to close, because the upper inlet sits higher than the rest of the end tank. It works though.

Filled the car with water, and idled it for long. The idle smoothed out after it got a little temperature in it. Backed it out of the garage under its own power, but the rear brake line leaks so it has no brake pressure. Theres a hissing noise coming from the drivers side intake area, so i need to figure that out, tried spraying starter fluid at it and nothing happened. Might just need a retorque. Also have smoke coming from the turbo area which I think is an exhaust leak. Going to try and fix the brake lines asap so the car can drive around and log.

·
Registered
1999 Forester S 5spd MT
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #329
Heres some pictures of the rad mounted, using an 04 XT bracket with the top bushing flipped upside down, I think this ebay rad sits a bit higher say a mishimoto radiator but im not sure.

I had to cut the rear brake lines under the rear seat and re-flare the lines with a new fitting, then ran new lines to the rear wheels, and mounted a new braided flex line to run to the wheels. This is because the leak in the lines was on the front side of the fitting thats located under the car, right after the lines go from inside the cabin to under the car. Luckily we had the stainless steel braided lines kicking around in the garage. I also changed the clutch line and slave cylinder while I was at it.

Cheap rock auto replacement slave, helped a lot with pedal feel, and just another extra braided line we had.

Also put on new front stoptech sport pads, and put in new slide pins because the old ones were seized. Made sure not to use the rubber insert on the lower pin because thats what cause the pins to get stuck.

Drained all the power steering fluid into a jug by turning the wheel back and forth with the car off, then bled it and filled up the resevoir with redline D4 ATF. PS pump and alternator are still working thankfully. You never know what will fail just from having a car sit for 3 years...

Managed to also weld a 4" bolt pattern flange onto my straight pipe so it bolts up to my 3" midpipe now.

Then I gave the car a much need first wash in 3 years, and clay barred all of the windows.

·
Registered
1999 Forester S 5spd MT
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #330
DIY intercooler sprayer

Now for a fun mod, I had some stock windshield sprayers than I got at a wreckers a couple years ago, so I decided to make my intercooler sprayer. I decided to mount the sprayers on my hood just because its cleaner and easier to mount. The sprayers then route to the rear wiper sprayer pump.

Because of how I cut my hood to mount the STi scoop, there was enough hood metal on the inside of the scoop to mount the sprayers, just drilling one hole and they sit in there perfectly without moving. The sprayer hose then meets up with the hood hose and they follow each other to the water tank by the fuse box.

How it looks with the hood closed. Because of the angle on the stock hood sprayers, they angle themselves downward and spray right at the IC. Also dont mind the gap in the scoop, this picture was taken with the back of the scoop not screwed in :p

·
Registered
1999 Forester S 5spd MT
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #331
Got to go for a first real drive last night since the brakes work now. Car is really solid!
First drive video its really dark but you can hear the car.

The problem now is that the clutch slips really bad, which was expected. This is because I had to reuse the old clutch at the last minute when we first put the motor in. I never intended to reuse it because when I first pulled the old motor out, I looked at it and new it was really bad. At that time we just we would change it when the car ran and drove, so now here we are. Basically as soon as boost build the clutch immediately slips, but its fine if you stay off boost. We're probably going to use an 06 wrx clutch and flywheel that supports ~300 lbs/ft at the crank just because I am not ready to do a transmission/diff/subframe/rear suspension swap at this point. So the 5spd will have to do for now, and we are well aware that it is the limiting factor in the drivetrain, but such is life.

Really pumped on how the Sti front end (hubs, control arms, coilovers, subframe, steering rack) feels on the car, it feels really planted, but I need to get a sway bar in there.

Hogan

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hogan's older brother here. Car has been living with me here in Michigan for awhile and we've been hard at work gathering and prepping parts to complete the swap. This post will cover what's gone on over the past year. This winter the car will go up on the hoist and the remainder of Forester suspension and driveline parts will come off. We'll clean up the rust as best we can and start installing the new (old) parts.

December 2018
-Determined that the coilovers we were running had blown shocks (zero damping, car just bounced after a bump)
-Got a set of OEM 04 STI coilovers with lowering springs. Lost some camber adjust-ability but the ride quality is night and day better and the ride height is basically the same
-Took apart the struts and cleaned out all the old grease, added new grease

Out with the blown coilovers - in with the rusty but functional OEM struts

February 2019
-Cost an arm and a leg but picked up a 6 speed transmission from a 2004 STI
-Came with a DCCD controller, Trans crossmember, shifter, front halfshafts and a worn clutch + flywheel
-This is when I got serious about finishing the swap "soon" vs someday

May 2019:
Time for the differential - R180 from a 2004 STI - 3.9 final drive ratio with an LSD

June 2019
-A trip to cars and coffee found some cool SF5s to hang out with. The white car is a daily driven full STI swap, really nice guy and cool to see.

·
Registered
3 Posts
July 2019:
-Picked up a set of STI Brembo calipers from ebay
-They're not in great condition but my brother plans to powdercoat them to a bright yellow (same colour you'll see on other parts on this car) so need to get them disassembled and cleaned then sent on to him for sandblast and powder.

August 2019:
-Like I said, my brother isn't afraid to powder coat old worn out parts
-Everything you see here is an OEM formerly rusty part. The boys and Full Send Designs (FSD) - My brother and his buddy did amazing work on these
-I bought the lateral links and trailing links from ebay as ~60k mile 04 sti takeoffs. My brother had the rear subframe but it was in similar condition
-Seeing these got me excited for the swap, just need some bushings to put into them!

October 2019:
-Calipers disassembled and cleaned. Will be rebuilt with fresh seals and hardware after powder coating (going for the same yellow as the lateral links)
-Problem was discovered when I first received them. All 4 calipers had their bolt holes repaired with helicoils. This is not uncommon on these calipers and was mentioned in the eBay listing by the seller. However 2 out of the 8 bolt holes (caliper to knuckle) had the helicoils pulling out. This appears to be due to holes that were never drilled straight in the first place (use a drill press!)
-So, what to do? The (former) oem brake engineer in me does not like this idea, but the person who knows how much these calipers sell for, even in poor condition, decided that having the stripped holes filled with weld, ground flat and then re-drilled and re-helicoiled would have to do.
-Fortunately my wife's Dad is an excellent aluminum welder. He plans to drill the holes slightly larger (but straight), turn down small aluminum plugs (tapered to allow weld rod access to the middle of the hole) and then fill/weld the plugs in, allowing me to go back and drill/tap into the plug later on
-The parts have been delivered to him but the welding hasn't been done yet - fingers crossed!

November 2019:
-The 3 cars hanging out together. Ecotec swapped FB Rx7 Lemons car hiding in the garage. Mk7 Golf R is the daily.

-Bushings have arrived! Went with Group N (rubber, but harder than stock STI) as I want this to remain a street car. Poly for the diff mount as there didn't appear to be another option. Also threw in a torque solutions aluminum pitch stop mount!

-Had some wiring work to do. Haven't had the heater fan working on any setting other than 4 (max) for years. Assumed it was a bad blower motor resistor so I installed a new one.
-Unfortunately this didn't fix it. So I took apart the dash and did continuity checks on the wires from the resistor to the fan switch and found no continuity. Turns out there are 2 plugs in the harness with identical male 4 pin ends that are side by side. The wrong one was plugged into the resistor. - Solved, I thought!
-Issue was the wires were too short and the harness ran up over behind the dash. So I broke out my soldering kit and lengthened the wires. Works great now!

-My brother picked up a set of 04 sti rear hubs many years ago and they've been sitting in storage collecting rust. With the swap coming up I began prepping them for the car.
-Step 1, press out the hubs, remove the snap ring and press out the bearings, remove the park brake parts

-Step 2, buy new park brake parts and check to make sure the new ones match what came off

-Step 3: Remove shields from knuckles (required torch). Clean all parts like crazy with brake clean + wire brush. Bend shields back to straight, then wash, prime (white) and paint shields to get ready for re-assembly

·
Registered
3 Posts
-Step 4: Clean up hubs, remove the portion of the bearings still attached (I thought I was scrapping these but I underestimated the prices of 04 specific STI rear hubs). Remove the wheel studs to prepare for longer studs that will support spacers + different wheels

December 2019:
-In order to install new bushings, I had to finish removing the old ones from the diff outrigger mount, and remove the outer steel cans from the trailing link bushings that my brother didn't realize were still there. It wasn't easy, but the dremel, sawzall, prybars and patience got them out.

Possibly the last drive of the year before it goes onto the hoist for disassembly. Drove to pick up a Christmas tree. Only car in the household that has a roof rack so it gets tree pickup duty every year! Trying to decide which wheels to get now. My brother and I have agreed on 17x9 and White, but not the exact style. Varrstoen ES2s (TE37 reps) are the leading candidate but RPF1s are now being considered as a local shop has them available in white!

321 - 337 of 337 Posts