Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Touring (CDN) CVT
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, time for a hockey thread...

#1) Ok, I'll admit it, I am a Toronto Maple Leafs fan... any thoughts on the latest trades?

#2) Canada is gonna kick arse at the Olympics! Discuss.

Brian

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,363 Posts
OK, being a log time fan, I'll bite ...... I follow players not teams so I can usually find a good game no matter what city I'm staying in.

Your recent acquisition of Dion Phaneuf was an outstanding 'steal' for the Leafs, and a loss to Calgary who at this point, in my mind, should not have left such a great young prospect go. But hey, they don't call me in the middle of the night. I have a few close buddy's lining just outside Toronto, and they sent me messages when they heard. Also living in NJ, I watch the Leafs put away the Devils on Dion's first outing.

Another trade I don't understand is Johnny Oduya ++++ for Kovalchuk. I know the Devils are trying to get a last minute change to spark their lines, but Oduya. Big trades like this remind me of when the Pens acquired Hossa in 2008, played the Wings and lost. He was a non-contributor.

Still a lot of good hockey left, just waiting to see who is still going where. In March I'll be in Az, so I hope to see 2 or 3 Coyote games while there.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With the NJ-ATL trade, I figure that the Thrashers GM (Waddell) both helped and hurt his cause just before the trade was announced, when he reported Kovalchuk turned down both a 12yr-$101M and a 7yr-$70Mil deal. In other words, "Don't blame me, I tried!", along with hurting himself by saying "Buyer beware - he is strictly a rental and you won't realistically be able to sign him". Kov is going to the KHL next season, I am sure, so the trade was basically for Oduya and a 1st rounder in exchange for NJ getting a rental player to help them compete with Washington and the Pens.

I am quite pleased with both trades that the Leafs pulled off, both for Phaneuf and for Giguere... Not planning any parade routes yet though!

I will be in Florida for a week in March in the Orlando area... unfortunately no hockey games that week.

·
Registered
2014 CVT
826 Posts
not the biggest fan of the NHL, but the city i grew up near has a team called the amerks and im going to have to say ill stick with them!!!!

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X Prem.
81 Posts
:-D

Go Kings go. Hockey in May FTW.
Yeah I'm a Detroit Fan but live in Los Angeles. As long as they aren't playing the Wings (like they are tomorrow), I will root for my local team.. We have the Ducks nearby too... but yeah.. no. screw that.. especially now that Jiggy is gone. Back to Kings..Go Quick!

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,212 Posts
Loved Detwah especially in the days of the -ov line. Amazing puck possession team.

Kings finally seem to have something going this season without any big stars though Kovalchuk would have been exciting. Smyth seems to be the gritty, in front of the net presence the young Kings needed.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I don't mind getting Phaneuf but who is going to score for the Leafs? Burke has like 30 million tied up in 6 D and a goalie. That doesn't leave much to ice 12 forwards. Kessel better figure out how to score 60 goals a year.

·
Registered
2018 ForesterXT Touring..
2,704 Posts
Philly Flyers are my team since the 'Broad St. Bullies' days. I'm not too sure if this is their year yet. Once they string some consistant wins together, they'll do allright:icon_biggrin:.

·
Registered
07 FXT sport
1,743 Posts
Big hockey fan here. I've been a penguin fan since arriving in pittsburgh at the same time as #66.

Here's a recent image of my #1 and #2 mod helpers enjoying some time with THE cup!!

Go Pens!!

dm

·
Registered
07 FXT sport
1,743 Posts
Big trades like this remind me of when the Pens acquired Hossa in 2008, played the Wings and lost. He was a non-contributor.
I like how Hossa left the pens to join the Red Wings and then was again a non-contributor.

How many players have played in consecutive stanley cup finals on two different teams and lost both times?? I don't know the answer, but Hossa the only one I can think of right now.

For the true hockey geeks I really enjoy the NHL Official Guide & Record Book to have laying around when watching center ice.

and just because you can't have enough Stanley Cup images....

dm

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Man, we lost a bad one last night... awesome game for 56 minutes... then three NJ goals in 3:04 and a 3-1 lead goes down as a 4-3 loss...

Maybe planning that parade route near the CN Tower was a tad premature...

(on a side note, tough day for Brian Burke, the GM for the Leafs. His 21-yr-old son was killed while driving in poor weather conditions in Indiana, lost control and went into oncoming traffic. His 18 yr old friend in the passenger seat was also killed.)

1 - 20 of 104 Posts