Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any opinions on trailer hitches for the Forester? Subaru hitch vs. other brands? I would be using it 99% to hold a hitch-mounted bike rack, but could conceiveably tow a small trailer with it. Do they (all) bolt right up without additional holes being drilled? I'd like to install this myself. Thanks.

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
I have a curt

It was not very easy to install

Had to make some modifications ie cut some pieces out of the hitch so it could bolt on

Beefy as hell but I also had to buy a wireharness seperatly

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SenorSubie said:
I have a curt

It was not very easy to install

Had to make some modifications ie cut some pieces out of the hitch so it could bolt on

Beefy as hell but I also had to buy a wireharness seperatly
Wire harness issue doesn't bother me too much, but looking for something with little to no need of "alterations". ;-)

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
Yeah but it cost me another 50 bucks.. wiring was extremely easy, the connector is already tucked in the spare tire area, just plug in the adapter box, and run the conector throught the gromit near the spare tire

I'm going to purchase a stiffer exhaust hanger for the rear section that seems to make contact with the hitch under hard acc. or if a "large" person is sitting in the rear drivers side

·
Registered
2001 Forester S 5 MT
304 Posts
I have a Hidden Hitch on my 01 and use it mostly for a hitch mounted bike rack. Never a problem. I have used Hidden Hitches on my last 4 cars.

for the trailer wiring, I ran it behind the bumper and tucked it up behind the license plate from the top. When I need it , I pull it out. It completely hidden, protected, and easy to use. The description sounds funny but I can take a pic if it helps. I wiring harness is a direct plug-and-play but I did have to cut it to get the wiring through a grommet in the spare tire well to the outside.

·
Registered
2006 Forester
174 Posts
I just put on a Drawtite and it mounted up with no hassle. Drawtite and Hidden Hitch designs are very similar- identical for most vehicles. The finish is different. The Hidden Hitch has a matte black rough finish while the DT has a smooth, glossy, finish. I have owned both and both are very solid and fit extremely well. I prefer the Drawtite finish and it is easier to keep clean- if you ever clean under the car.

Drawtire and Reece and made by the same company. Hidden Hitch is a separate company but I hear it is owned by Drawtite's parent company. You can't go wrong with either one- for me, it came down to the finish. I prefer the glossy powdercoat.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the input all....

I was wondering about the Hidden Hitch, I'd seen them on ebay at a decent price. Glossy finish might be nice though....:think:

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
I'm happy with the Hidden Hitch. I hadn't really noticed the finish, because I can'r really see it. But I don't won't anything glossy down there anyway.

·
Registered
2006 Forester
174 Posts
I've had both and while the HH finish is very resistant to salt spray as they say, it seems to not be a durable as the Drawtite's powder coat glossy finish. My HH had some rust spots where thigs had either hit it or rubbed against it while my Drawtite one never did so I personally went for the Drawtite again. However, the HH rust never got out of control and didn't affect it in any way.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Decided to go with the Hidden Hitch from Senor Subie's neighbor :shock:

The install looks like something I can handle, as long as the rusty nuts & bolts come off like they're supposed to :roll:

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
Black98 said:
Decided to go with the Hidden Hitch from Senor Subie's neighbor :shock:

The install looks like something I can handle, as long as the rusty nuts & bolts come off like they're supposed to :roll:
Alright if you have any problems, just let me know :lol:

·
Registered
2006 Forester
174 Posts
Yeah, don't forget to take off all the brackets and stuff or you will wonder why the bolts are not longer.:grin:

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
Flyer said:
Yeah, don't forget to take off all the brackets and stuff or you will wonder why the bolts are not longer.:grin:
remember they use WELD nuts.. so.. yeah.. i didnt' know.. and.. I'm not going there :tempertantrum

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
SenorSubie said:
remember they use WELD nuts.. so.. yeah.. i didnt' know.. and.. I'm not going there :tempertantrum
I guess the WELD nuts require the BIG PERSUADER bar? :spinnasmiley

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
Ouch.. 37~ is alot of money for just a simple install..

They should come off pretty easy, but I tried to.. loosen the weld nut instead of the bolt :tempertantrum

I ended up taking a recipricating saw and cutting off the little bugger

1 - 20 of 31 Posts