Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
11 sec club
04 Cayenne TT
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to a shop day sponsored by McRee Subaru in Dickinson, TX yesterday and mounted up a Draw-Tite hitch to the 06 FXT. There were a couple of issues with the muffler hangers oont he STi axleback I have on there. I already had the KB long hangers on it. However, the hitch was low enough (even with it bent for clearance from the factory) to not allow any air gap with the tip of the muffler and the hitch. We had to bend the ears up on the muffler to get it to hang down enough. The other issue was on the left mount. The hitch deletes the mounting point and they want you to bolt the hanger to the hitch itself on the side of it (that bolts to the frame). I think the stock hanger will work on that side. But the way it is now, the hitch has a large lip on it that the hanger bushing is just resting on. It doesn't have any way of coming out and is supported just fine on that side. And as mentioned, the right hanger is OK. I need to snap some pics of it - it's hidden very well except for the receiver part (naturally). I'm on the fence about mounting the stock hanger on the left side since it seems good enough. However, there is no lateral support due to it just resting on the lip of the hitch on that side so I only have one hanger preventing that kind of movement. It's very tight, though.

·
Premium Member
? ? ?
692 Posts
I'm surprised you got it all to fit in there. I know that the SPT website states you cannot have the differential protector or a hitch to "properly" install the SPT muffler for the Foresters.

If you can, post some pics please; I'm thinking about ordering a hitch in the next month or so.

Michael

·
Registered
2004 FXT
403 Posts
I went to a shop day sponsored by McRee Subaru in Dickinson, TX yesterday and mounted up a Draw-Tite hitch to the 06 FXT. There were a couple of issues with the muffler hangers oont he STi axleback I have on there. I already had the KB long hangers on it. However, the hitch was low enough (even with it bent for clearance from the factory) to not allow any air gap with the tip of the muffler and the hitch. We had to bend the ears up on the muffler to get it to hang down enough. The other issue was on the left mount. The hitch deletes the mounting point and they want you to bolt the hanger to the hitch itself on the side of it (that bolts to the frame). I think the stock hanger will work on that side. But the way it is now, the hitch has a large lip on it that the hanger bushing is just resting on. It doesn't have any way of coming out and is supported just fine on that side. And as mentioned, the right hanger is OK. I need to snap some pics of it - it's hidden very well except for the receiver part (naturally). I'm on the fence about mounting the stock hanger on the left side since it seems good enough. However, there is no lateral support due to it just resting on the lip of the hitch on that side so I only have one hanger preventing that kind of movement. It's very tight, though.
Can you snap some pics of your sti exhaust and trailer hitch

1 - 3 of 3 Posts