Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2008 subaru
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am in need of a hitch, the trailer I am purchasing has a a 1 7/8" ball hitch receiver. Does the hidden hitch or Curt's hitch come with interchangeable ball receivers? Recomendations?

Ohh and great to be back :)

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
You can generally mix-n-match to suit your requirement. In general, verify the tow vehicle can handle the intended load, pick the hitch, select a drawbar that fits the hitch's receiver and has the correct drop/rise, and then pick a towball that fits the trailer's coupler and the drawbar.

For example, let's say you want a Class II hitch with a 1-1/4" receiver. Here's a Class II drawbar (may or may not be the correct rise/drop) for a 1-1/4" receiver. This drawbar accepts a towball with a 3/4" shank diameter. Here's a 1-7/8" towball with a 3/4" shank.

Don't attach a towball with a 3/4" shank to a drawbar with a 1" mounting hole.

If you later decide to tow a trailer with a 2" coupler, you change the tow ball to a 2" diameter / 3/4" shank model, or get the new ball and a new drawbar.

Finally, remember that the maximum trailer weight is limited by the vehicle tow spec, the hitch, the drawbar, or the tow ball, whichever has the lowest rating.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2008 subaru
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info! Basiclly just towing tires and shifter kart to auto-x's. I do have a sti exhaust on the extended Kartboy hangers any opinions as to which one to get?

·
Registered
99 RS
111 Posts
why don't you just get one of those quick switch balls where the ball removes in seconds so you can change from 1-7/8's to one inch ball?

I got one and It is really convienient.

there is also one inch reciever reducers available as well as 1 inch adapters that fit into the inch and a quarter receivers too.

·
aka DMax in Alaska
'06 Mini Cooper S JCW 6MT
786 Posts
For what it is worth, I just had to remove my Hidden Hitch off of my '08 FSXT because it did not allow the ProDrive ABE I was installing to mount correctly. The stock exhaust tip appears to have been "modified" when the hitch was mounted but you would have never noticed it. The Curt hitches look to be designed differently so you may be OK.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts