Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester Limited XT
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am new to the forum and picking up my new 2009 Forester XT this week. I have questions about the hitch and bike rack as it appears I'll be limited to a Class I hitch (1-1/4"), able to carry only 2 bikes. My research is very preliminary, but it's confusing. It appears that the ability for towing may have been reduced with the new body style?

I need help to find a decent quality hitch and bike rack. I'd like to be able to carry 3 bikes.

THANKS!!!

Jackie

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
Jackie,

Take a look over in the forum's "Towing" and "Utility and Protection" sub-forums. There are quite a few discussion threads covering hitches (both light-duty 1-1/4" models and heavier-duty 2" models) and bike racks, and some of those may be helpful to you.

In short, though, you might want to consider a 2" hitch from U-Haul or Curt (appear to be same model for the '09 / '10 Forester), and a bike rack from Thule, Yakima, or...

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2010 Forester
2 Posts
Check out the Saris Thelma 3. It's a 3 bike rack that is very well designed, holds 3 bikes and is very lightweight (31#). It also will work with both 2" and 1 1/4" receivers. I installed a Curt Class II Hitch over the weekend without any issues (took longer than 40 minutes) and the Thelma works great!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts