Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2013 2.5X Touring 5spd Manual
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hit a big bump/pothole tonight in my 2013....coasted then engine shutoff. Healthy turnover but no dice....will not start. Anyone else experience this? :( Thank you for any help.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Forester CVT
148 Posts
Look in your owners manual for fuel shutoff switch. In one of my fords when I had to change the fuel filter it had to hit the switch in the rear so that I would not get sprayed with gas. It may have that.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,900 Posts
@KEEPS -
An engine needs fuel, spark and compression to run.
Obviously one of these is missing.
Compression is not an issue, could be fuel, but I think it is more likely electric...
A BIG bump can jar loose a connector, perhaps one that was already loose..
That might have also caused something to short or fail in the process.
Since an engine shouldn't shut down from just a bump, I'm thinking it's not one of those commonly encountered problems.
Did you get a CEL light?
Did you just lose engine power or are other things happening?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Big bump.....coasted....then died. Upon trying to restart it felt like a strong turnover....would 'almost' go. But wouldnt. After sitting for awhile, it would turnover nicely but felt there was no fuel delivery. It was after dark on the mtn and it's cougar season so wasnt getting out of the vehicle. All dashlights came on. Battery remained strong for the 3 hours I was there. Going back up now with a tow truck :(

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
854 Posts
Look in your owners manual for fuel shutoff switch. In one of my fords when I had to change the fuel filter it had to hit the switch in the rear so that I would not get sprayed with gas. It may have that.
X2, had a Ford truck.

Just looked in my manual for the 2018 nothing in there then did a search
https://itstillruns.com/replace-subaru-forester-fuel-filter-6172044.html
I wonder from reading this maybe just disconnect the neg battery the re connect because it says to pull the relay out. Worth a try.
Good to know, but I'd just unplug the relay, re-plug and try.

OP, keep us posted on the outcome and good luck.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
found nothing in the manual....or the internet. I am baffled....on no sleep though of course

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring CVT
236 Posts
Hit a big bump/pothole tonight in my 2013....coasted then engine shutoff. Healthy turnover but no dice....will not start. Anyone else experience this? :( Thank you for any help.
Perhaps the fuel pump or line got busted, did fuel tank hit anything.

or was one of the grounding straps for the engine ripped off, this would cause the engine and spark plugs to not have a good ground back to the battery. no spark!!!

I want to say fuel though for some reason. any smell of gasoline under the car.

was the fuel tank dented which poked up and hit the fuel pump?

pull the hose off the fuel pressure regulator near the master cylinder and turn the car over. fuel does not spray all over the place. then it is the fuel pump or lines.

put an amp meter in place of the fuel pump fuse. any current draw?? none then fuel pump or wiring to pump busted.

start with fuel pump but dont get locked in on it. do some simply troubleshooting.

·
Registered
2005 Forester EJ251
105 Posts
My thoughts are that if it was a large impact one of the crash sensors might have thought it was an accident and has shut the fuel pump off.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I thought for sure it would just be the shut off.... but nope. Dealer says 650 for new pump and bits... plus labor... $990. I asked to keep the old pump too. 6 year old car on Cooper Discoverers... on a bumpy road kills the pump???? W T F !!!!?

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 Forester EJ251
105 Posts
Check ebay or somewhere else. A fuel pump is not a high tech device. Buy two and keep one spare (in the car).

Also, look at the pump first. It might just be a clip moved or a pick up pipe fractured. I would be surprised if the motor was affected.

·
Registered
2006 Forester 5-speed manual
302 Posts
I spend much of my driving life on bumpy roads...

Sounds a but suss to me. A wire has come off if you ask me.

Take it away from the dealer and see if an auto electrician can sort it.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,900 Posts
@KEEPS -
Dang!
That's the cost of going to a dealer.
The same pump assembly can be had for over $200 less... https://www.subaruparts.com/v-2014-subaru-forester--2-5i-limited--2-5l-h4-gas/fuel-system--fuel-pump
Or even less than that if it was just the pump and the entire assembly did not have to be replaced.
On the Forester, it is also pretty easy to get to the fuel pump, as there is a door behind the seat.
It's not like the tank needs to be dropped.

Did you get an explanation of why going over a bump could cause the pump to fail?

Seems like a pretty flakey design feature...

·
Registered
2010 Forester 5-speed manual
169 Posts
These types of failures happen to WRC rally cars, so it makes sense that it could to happen on a fully loaded Forester hitting a large and, my guess, deep pothole with sharp edges at speed.

I once spent nearly as much replacing a wheel and tire damaged by an unseen road salt induced pothole in my adopted home of New York state. I hit the pothole with my VW Golf at night on a salt brine slush covered street at low speed, but it was deep and with sharp edges in large part because how poorly the roads are repaired and maintained here.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts