Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Forester X
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to start so many threads all at once, but I am curious...

Who here (couples) have his and her cars? Everyone in ours families and all of our friends have specific cars that each one drives most of the time. We used to when I drove a lot more for work (wife had a truck and I had an Acura TL for the mpg), but now I would say we're a pretty even split.

Both the cars are ours, and we usually don't know which one the other will take in the morning until we look outside.

I would say I probably take the Fozzy more since that's the one we use to mountain bike/take the dogs anywhere, but it's still a pretty even split.

Anyone else?

·
Registered
05 Forester XT
541 Posts
My wife's minivan is ours. My Fozzy XT is mine. My wife doesn't get to drive it since she she has been known to hit the side of the garage, or hitting curbs here and there. She'll drive months on low tire pressure, and doesn't change the oil unless I get on her case. And of course since she is always late she never warms the car up before flooring it. So basically she is turbo incompatible :)

·
Registered
Forester X
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Funny you mention about the being late thing.... that's part of a the reason both of ours are NA. HAHAHA

My wife has a habit of hitting things too, but never did in the TL, and so far (knock on wood) hasn't in these yet.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
We have his and hers cars. I pay my own expensives (car payment, gas etc.) on the XT, and my wife covers the gas on her car, but we jointly pay the insurance and I do all the maintenance on both.

I drive the X fairly often, but she rarely drives the XT. She doesn't like driving a stick, and the power kind of scares her.

·
Registered
Forester X
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We have his and hers cars. I pay my own expensives (car payment, gas etc.) on the XT, and my wife covers the gas on her car, but we jointly pay the insurance and I do all the maintenance on both.

I drive the X fairly often, but she rarely drives the XT. She doesn't like driving a stick, and the power kind of scares her.
Wait? So you have separate accounts?!?!?! Technically I "pay" for everything since I am the one who works. But all our money is pooled together.

Not that there's anything wrong with separate accounts, just never heard of that before...

·
The Sub kit guy
13,008 Posts
Yep. I've talked most my married friends into do it that way too. The #1 thing most couple fight about is money, and it totally eliminates that.

My wife and I both work, and we each but 80% of our paychecks into our "joint" account to cover mortgage, utilites, daycare, groceries and other household expenses. The left over 20% is kept in our own personal account and covers personal expenses, whatever they may be. It could be gas for the car, lunch for work, new shoes, car mods or whatever. My wife does the same thing. If I decide to spend $500 on a car part or she spends $200 on a day at the spa the other person doesn't care how much was spent because it was done with their own money. I saved up money for a bit and spent a rediculous amount on a new mountain bike and when I told my wife all she said was "good for you!". No "you spend HOW MUCH on a bike?!?!" or anything like that.

At the end of each month whatever money is left over in the joint checking gets moved over to our joint saving which pays for vacations, large home expenses like new appliances or just fun family outings. After 7 years of doing things this way we have never had any arguments about money.

·
Registered
Forester X
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep. I've talked most my married friends into do it that way too. The #1 thing most couple fight about is money, and it totally eliminates that.

My wife and I both work, and we each but 80% of our paychecks into our "joint" account to cover mortgage, utilites, daycare, groceries and other household expenses. The left over 20% is kept in our own personal account and covers personal expenses, whatever they may be. It could be gas for the car, lunch for work, new shoes, car mods or whatever. My wife does the same thing. If I decide to spend $500 on a car part or she spends $200 on a day at the spa the other person doesn't care how much was spent because it was done with their own money. I saved up money for a bit and spent a rediculous amount on a new mountain bike and when I told my wife all she said was "good for you!". No "you spend HOW MUCH on a bike?!?!" or anything like that.

At the end of each month whatever money is left over in the joint checking gets moved over to our joint saving which pays for vacations, large home expenses like new appliances or just fun family outings. After 7 years of doing things this way we have never had any arguments about money.
That's a pretty good idea!

Fortunately, my wife and I share most of the same hobbies and interests, and have similar financial goals... we have actually never had a fight about money, but I realize that is rare.

Cool idea! :banana:

·
The Sub kit guy
13,008 Posts
When you have one person who LOVES to shop and buy stuff (that's me in our relationship) it just makes it more fair. You don't want one person spending all the extra money on themselves all the time.

With our cars I didn't pay a single cent toward to the X, and she hasn't paid a single cent toward the XT. They are OUR cars, but they are also his/hers.

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS Wagon Auto
3,658 Posts
Everything is split down the middle, but "My car" is the foz, and "her car" is the Legacy. Even though I am the one that mostly drives (we almost always carpool). Separate accounts here too with a joint account for expenses.

·
Registered
Forester X
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When you have one person who LOVES to shop and buy stuff (that's me in our relationship) it just makes it more fair. You don't want one person spending all the extra money on themselves all the time.

With our cars I didn't pay a single cent toward to the X, and she hasn't paid a single cent toward the XT. They are OUR cars, but they are also his/hers.
Cool. Yeah, my wife and I both like to spend money, but we are both also big fans of saving. She probably spends a little less than I do, but that's mainly because she doesn't have the time to spend money. She's a full time vet student at UF and I am a paralegal and a full time MBA student. I still have way more free time than she does which means I can spend more HAHA

Real Lyte- I am the same way. When we go somewhere together I drive 99% of the time.

·
Registered
04 FXT
373 Posts
I drive my GF's G35 all the time, and she drives my car, but not nearly as often. Apparently the unresonated straight through 3" catback gives her a headache. She likes her car much more than mine, and I like my car much more than hers; it works out pretty well.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited 4EAT
386 Posts
My car is the foz, her car is the bus or the subway.

Er, wait, actually...I'm the one always stuck out.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT AT
1,295 Posts
The Forester is "mine"; the Sienna "hers". Legally and in reality that is what has worked out although when we drive out of town and use the Sienna, I will do the driving.

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,723 Posts
My wife and I worked it out way back, We make a great team; the Westy is ours, so is the Forester;
My seat has the steering wheel and her seat has the good view.. :biggrin:

Discussed on our second or third date;
me; "I love driving" her; "I hate driving"... :Banane35:

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
239 Posts
The Foz is MINE :) The wifey drives a hybrid camry and loves it.. she only takes the Foz when the snow is deep or she's heading to the depot to buy plants or bags and bags of potting soil or mulch... you can fit a TON of stuff in there with the seats down..it becomes cavernous !
I like driving her hybrid on rare occasions - it's cool in a very geeky kinda way. She thinks I'm a nerd for trying to see how far I can go without making the engine kick in. I pay for everything, she takes care of everything else - it's a good deal.

·
Registered
2001 Forester Slushbox
1,777 Posts
The wife has her 2010 Forester limited and I have my 2001 Forester Dirt Edition.

Wouldn't have it any other way.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts