Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Yorkshireman, not a DUDE!
2011 Mitsi RA Sportback SST
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following the death of her husband last year my mother-in-law wants to sell her too large bungalow and move into something smaller. Someone she knows has already said to her that if she ever wanted to sell to let them know. She has done this and the other people have said that they will buy the bungalow subject to survey and acceptable price.
Assuming that the survey is OK and the price is OK then does mother-in-law still need to have a HIPS or not ? Obviously sale will be done properly through the solicitor but no estate agents involved.
I can't find a definitive answer to the question so any house experts on here know ?

Thanks

Brian

·
Mad Englishman.
MY06 Forester STi 6MT
4,157 Posts
If no-one asks to see the HIPS then one is not needed. Estate agents will not market the property withut one though.

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
Strictly its an offence to sell the house without HIP, the fine for which is upto £500 (and almost certainly for a pensioner less than the cost of buying a HIP).

As I can't see anyone making a complaint, and AIUI you don't have to 'register' a HIP, then I can't see anyone finding out....

Yet another piece of the new labour millstone round the necks of ordinary people in my opinion.

Simon

·
Premium Member
2006 Impreza WRX with PPP Manual of course! ;-)
1,522 Posts
More of a sympathy vote than anything else, but we have had them over here for the past 4 years (or at least the frog equivalent). I had to have one done last August, the "technician" and I use the term lightly, that came to do it was a joke despite being properly certified. I had to get him to correct 50% of the figures he'd 'calculated' with regards to energy use (the leccy bill was way over estimated) and he even managed to get the address wrong, d'ohhhhhhhh... best of luck with your mother-in-law's one Brian.

Simon

·
Registered
2004 XT AT
1,101 Posts
This link says:

A HIP is not required for:

* sales where no marketing has taken place, for example to a family member, neighbour or friend
When a Home Information Pack is needed | Business Link

So I would have though that covered it for your M-i-L's sale to someone she knows. Probably best see what the solicitor says though. I don't see why the mortgage company should care- they will be interested in the survey and valuation, not the HIP.

-- Steve

·
Yorkshireman, not a DUDE!
2011 Mitsi RA Sportback SST
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all, very helpful.
We will just see what happens after the survey and (hopeful) offer. Then talk to solicitor and see if other party want one or not.

Cheers

Brian

·
Registered
120 Posts
Google HIPS then take a look at Martin Lewis website/forum.
Avoid the Estate Agents
Most home packs can be had for under £200.00

·
Registered
120 Posts
Certain estate agents are able to undertake a HIP via a drive past ie is the address local ok i'll say £500.00 or a property further afield I'll look at Googlearth then chage £££'s more.
Surelysomemistake here ?

·
Registered
2001 S Turbo Auto
488 Posts
although no legal requirement in this instance Brian, probably worth getting for the information contained therein - Land Registry Title & plan, EPC etc. Gives the buyer some further piece of mind and would also be handy if the sale fell through and it had to then be placed onto open market.

regards

mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts