Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2004 FXT MT
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Over the past month or so I've noticed a reoccuring issue. When I come to a stop from say 2nd gear, I'll depress the clutch and the rpm's drop to their usual 750 or so, but then it quickly bumps up to about 1500 and stays there. If I put it in nuetral and let out the clutch it returns to the normal 750.

I don't think this is a idle problem, as when I start my car it stays at an idle of around 750.

This issue only happens when I'm driving.

Any ideas?

It's an '04 FXT with about 60k miles.

Thanks!

·
Registered
08 XT Limited
198 Posts
Check your grounds. If they all look good (OHM meter) maybe an ECU reflash is available? Just a guess....

Something is telling the throttle to open ever so slightly when you depress the clutch pedal (disengaging the clutch). When you depress the clutch pedal the rpms normally hang for just a bit as a result of the ECU program.

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,590 Posts
1500rpm is the usual idle speed when rolling with clutch disengaged, so sounds like a road speed input problem to me.....

Simon

·
Registered
2004 FXT MT
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can do the ECU reflash (basically disconnect the battery and pump the brakes), but I don't know what to do about the "road input speed"?

Now that i think about it, this quirk does correlate to the new battery I just installed. Would that have any connection?

·
Registered
08 XT Limited
198 Posts
1500rpm is the usual idle speed when rolling with clutch disengaged, so sounds like a road speed input problem to me.....

Simon
Just tried this today on my US version 2008 XT....no matter road speed or gear lever position when I depress the clutch pedal my rpms fall to 750-775.

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,590 Posts
Indeed, what about an 04 though? Yours has ETC and doesn't need the torque reserve that a stepper motor idel controller does.

Simon

·
Registered
2004 FXT MT
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If it is a "road speed input" problem, what can be done about it? Why would it just start happening all of a sudden?

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,590 Posts
Something works or doesn't, I think a generic scan tool and check the RS input for you...

Simon

·
Registered
2004 FXT MT
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe you couldn't tell, but I'm not a car expert. Could you explain to me what exactly i should do - is "generic scan" something that Autozone could do for me? Should I ask them to check the road speed input?

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,590 Posts
Generic scan tool, non manufacturer tool for reading vehicle data from the OBD port...autozone, no idea, wrong side of the pond for me!

Simon

·
Registered
2014 CVT
826 Posts
yes autozone could check for codes, now as for "road speed input" im guessing he is thinking of the vehicle speed sensor......just a guess

·
Registered
2004 FXT MT
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks FPT reader. So I should just ask the folks at advanced/autozone to plug the reader in and tell me if anything comes up? Or do they have to look for anything specific?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts