Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2012 GTI DSG 6-speed
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Monday night I pulled into the garage and shut off the car. I thought I was hearing a smoke detector alert in the house. But then I realized the sound was coming from the car.

As it turns out I had been driving on somewhat wet roads from the snow melting. This moisture had found it's way into one of the electrical widgets in the grill (alarm horn?) and was making this unusual sound. The old site had this as a common problem so I thought I'd post it again in case someone else encounters it. The noise is very annoying but harmless.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Today I washed the Forester for the first time in a while as it was coated in magnesium chloride from recent storms. After hosing it down, started to hear the same buzz you are referring to. It has been about 3 hours now since I finished, and the noise is still there. Car started fine and wife, who usually drives it, has not observed any other issues with the car. How long will the noise continue? Does anyone have any other ideas/suggestions on what the noise is?

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,052 Posts
Water gets in the buzzer harness somehow and screws it up.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT 5 speed
1,042 Posts
Ha hah... I'd been having this problem intermittently the past 3 months, was driving me insane. With it stuck behind the grill I had a hard time finding it even with a mechanic's stethoscope. Once I pulled the grill & got to it, pretty obvious... One of the pins in the buzzer piece totally corroded away to nothing.

Disconnected & off the car, good riddance.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,722 Posts
Yes, that usually happen in States that use winter road salt. Curious how the moisture got thru that connector gasket? :confused:

One to to keep in mind, some transmitter fob programing instruction require that. I recall where a member was trying to program in a new fob & never got the "tone" the instructions said to listen for. It turned out his chirper... Subaru calls it a buzzer, wasn't working! :icon_eek:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT 5 speed
1,042 Posts
Yes, that usually happen in States that use winter road salt. Curious how the moisture got thru that connector gasket? :confused:
183k+ miles & 15 winters of head on exposure to moisture & salt is my guess. :)

One to to keep in mind, some transmitter fob programing instruction require that. I recall where a member was trying to program in a new fob & never got the "tone" the instructions said to listen for. It turned out his chirper... Subaru calls it a buzzer, wasn't working! :icon_eek:
If I ever need it, I'll pick one up off ebay or a junkyard or something. But my car hasn't ever chirped on door lock as long as I've owned it - I figured it was programmed out at some point, but it's probably just been dead the past 5 years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts