Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
2006 LL Bean Forester automatic
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since this was lost on SF.com I decided to post again about the high pitched noise from the rear of my 2006 Forester.

I had the noise when I first got the car and the dealer thought it was the fuel pump. I then had the fuel pump replaced and the noise remained. It is kind of a high pitched whine/wind noise that I notice more with a full tank of gas or when the car is cold (first thing in the morning). It could be heard both outside and inside the car.

I finally got another word from the dealer today and they said that Subaru was aware of a bad/noisey batch of fuel pumps. They think my original and the replacement both came from that batch. The dealer is now going to replace my fuel pump again with a newer one from a different batch. Hopefully that will fix the problem. I'll believe that when I see it (or actually when I don't hear it :) )

How many other 2006 (or other year?) owners still have this noise?

·
Registered
2006 Forester X
15 Posts
So, where did you hear this noise? I have only heard it once, but the sound appeared to be comming from the rear on the passenger side. Wondering if it might be the same thing.

Mike

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine is coming from the center of the rear, sort of under the backseat.

There were a few other members at the old site that had the same "problem" with MY06 Foresters.

·
Registered
2006 Forester X
15 Posts
discome,

Thanks. Sounds close to mine. I will have to keep on ear out and if it starts back up at least I know what to go back to the dealer with.

Mike

D

·
0 Posts
My ride does the same thing 2006 also I haven't taken it to the dealer yet, but I will soon. Let me know what happends Discome.
Thanx

·
Registered
2006 Forester 2.5X
63 Posts
High-pitch noise -- Fuel Pump

I am on my second fuel pump which was replaced a month after I bought the car. There is a significant difference, but it is not totally gone. It is louder on the outside than inside, but still better than the original fuel pump. I am reluctant to bring it in again due to two different Subaru dealers I have been to dinging up my car when they touch it. If it does get worse, I will follow up with the info posted on the batch of bad fuel pumps that is out there.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The newest replacement fuel pump should be arriving at the dealer next week, so hopefully I'll have it changed out near the end of next week and give a report then.

·
Registered
2006 Forester 2.5X
63 Posts
Follow up on Fuel Pump

A follow up on my second fuel pump. It seems to be getting louder now almost to the point of the original one. When I take the car in this week for another issue, I'll have them check it.:confused:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I actually think there is a more global issue than just the fuel pumps, but I am unsure. I notice that when my car makes the noise it drives a little more sluggishly and I get reduced MPG. When it doens't make the noise, the engine feels like it has more pep and the MPG is better. I get the noise more noticably with cold weather or a full tank of gas. It seems to go away with warmer weather or a less than 1/2 tank of gas.

I'm wondering if it has something to do with the programing of the gas mixture or something similar.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have not found a TSB yet. I'll ask my dealer when I take mine back in within the next week or so (whenever they get the part in)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No updates yet

I just confirmed 2/23 for my 2nd fuel pump change out with my dealer. They got delayed verifying that the newest replacement was from a new batch of them. I'll be right at 3K miles too, so I plan to get them to do the oil change as well (my dealer only charges $20 for that)

·
Official sf.org decal guy
2006 FXT
12,367 Posts
Keep us updated. I haev a Walbro pump from my WRX that I want them to install if that's the problem. I'll keep the new stock as a spare. Is the fuel pump hard to change? I know on my 2002 WRX it was simple but on later year WRX's they changed the spot. It this true for the Forester?

·
MY BBEAST
2016 SUBARU FORESTER 2.5i AUTO-MATIC
714 Posts
Well you guys won't believe this.... after installing my Megan Racing Coilovers, the wind noise in my car while driving on a high speed on the Fwy, is now gone.
Mysterious noise, gone, no more. i can even enjoy driving with my windows done. Until now im still puzzled. Just an FYI....

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know the Forester's fuel pump is under the back seat and they have to get to it from inside the car by removing the back seat. They also need very little gas in the car. They want me to drive it until it is about 1/8 full.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK.. newest update.

Got the car back yesterday after the 2nd fuel pump change. The noise is still there :(

I also had them run diagnostics on the fuel system (do things like check O2 sensor, etc.) and they said everything is "in spec".

I've already called the dealer this morning to complain about the noise again.

This must be something with the slight modifications made to 2006 models???

The dealer said they will continue to investigate.

*sigh*

·
Registered
2006 Forester 2.5X
63 Posts
And don't forget... Turning up the volume of your radio is not a fix as we have been told by some service techs out there.

I currently have my Forester back in the shop to get the interior panels of the tail gate replaced. These were removed to install the rear spoiler and not replaced correctly thus breaking the mounting tabs. The panels are loose and rattle.

Anyway, I have a Legacy sedan as a loaner and it does not make the high-pitch fuel pump sound. I was hoping to get a basic Impreza to listen for the noise, but no luck.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts