Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am looking at buying a Forester 2.0 Premium L.P.G G3 (2009) Automatic which has driven 173.000 miles. Is that acceptable in a Forester or should I expect too many repairs and too little years left?
Thanks in advance Wadse

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,506 Posts
It depends.
My daughter is still driving the 2004 Forester I bought used with 125K miles that I gave her as a wedding present, and it now has 350K miles on the clock and continues to run well, and has never had a serious problem. It was also very well cared for and maintained.

My neighbor bought a 2007 with a lot fewer miles at about the same time.
He had to dispose of it after having nothing but problems and lots of them.
Unlike me, he did very little to verify its condition before buying it, and likely it had a rough life.

Any vehicle with high mileage needs to be checked out thoroughly, unless the price is so low that you could make a profit on parting it out. I'm thinking that isn't your intent.

Unless you know what you are getting into, you could be buying a dream or a nightmare, and no one can tell you which of those categories the car you are looking at may fit into.

If you don't know what to check for on a Subaru, it may save you a lot of grief to engage someone who can give you a realistic assessment of the car's condition. Without that, you can end up with either of the alternatives I outlined above.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks very much for your clear reply. To be complete, the asking price is € 5000,-, I only drive 7000 miles per year and I expect to drive it for five years.
I have an additional question you might be able to help with, a friend warned me about high costs involved in driving the lpg version, especially on valves and cylinderhead. Do you recognise this?

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,506 Posts
@Morvan - Sorry - I don't have any personal experience with operating an lpg powered vehicle.
Not sure what costs your friend was talking about in terms of high cost.. The fuel cost? I thought that was lower.
Everything I've heard about using it as fuel on other vehicles has been generally positive, as it is a very clean burning fuel. The local propane delivery trucks run on it and they say it reduces their maintenance costs.

You might want to search the forum regarding other's experiences, as I recall reading several posts from people who have converted their cars. The other suggestion would be to start a new thread asking about peoples luck (or lack of same) with lpg powered operation.

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
Are there any service/mechanic records and sales receipts for parts and labor performed?

Any sort of log book of same maintenance and repairs performed in reference to the odometer?

Can you have the car inspected by a knowledgeable mechanic before sale?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts