Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a 4 channel amp and a powered subwoofer in my wife’s 09 Forester. We wanted to keep the factory nav, so I wired both amps with high level inputs. I wired the high level inputs to both amps in parallel.

Here is my question:

Will wiring both amps in parallel this way create too much of a draw on the factory head unit?

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 XTi Cross Sports 4EAT :(
1,352 Posts
Looking at the attached diagram, since you did them in parallel, if the speakers are 4ohms your amp is getting a 2ohm load. If the speakers were 2ohms you are running the amp with a 1ohm load. Not many amps can do 1ohm stable.

Feel free for anyone to correct me if I am wrong.

EDIT: I see he wired his amps with high level inputs in parallel. I have no idea about how that will work.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X
36 Posts
I just installed a 4 channel amp and a powered subwoofer in my wife’s 09 Forester. We wanted to keep the factory nav, so I wired both amps with high level inputs. I wired the high level inputs to both amps in parallel.

Here is my question:

Will wiring both amps in parallel this way create too much of a draw on the factory head unit?
What amp is this and how many amps are there? I assume one and did you mean channels in parallel? very confusing question

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
What amp are you running? Most amps will accept one pair of inputs to power all 4 channels. You headunit has 4 channel output, so use two channels for one amp, and two channels for the other.

If you combined the 4 channels into two and run those into your amp, you'll probably short out the headunit.

Now if your saying you used two channels and split them into 4 to run both amps, that should work just fine.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since the subwoofer is powered, I'm essentially running two amps. The sub amp only requires a left and right input (2 channels), so I split the front speaker outputs (from the head unit) and ran one set to the sub and the other to the front channels of my amp. It seems to be working fine. Also, I asked this on another site and got more confirmation that this will not damage the head unit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts