Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
well i just got the new turbo in on saturday... now when i am stopping my idle sits at 1500 rpms. it does not sit there long, maybe 30 seconds then it returns to normal.700 rpms or so... Another thing when the car is idling at 1500 rpms it stops if i take the car out of gear and let it in neutral.
anyone have any ideas?
thanks in advance
oh yeah i looked on scoobymods and found something telling me to clean the throttle body.but im not sure this is it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Several others have had this problem. I started a thread on SF.com about it.

With my 04FXT fully warmed up, if I am driving in gear and depress the clutch pedal and let up on the gas, the engine RPMs initially will drop to normal ~ 800 RPM idle, but then will increase to 1,500 RPM and hold at that speed.

Eventually, the engine will slowly drop back to the normal idle. But RPMs will rapidly drop to normal idle if I (1) stop moving, (2) let out the clutch, or (3) shift out of gear and leave it in neutral.

I notice this persistent high idle in stop-and-go traffic while coasting to a stop or while downshifting through the gears approaching a stoplight.

My dealer is stumped. There are no malfunction codes in the computer. He has called Subaru and they had him check the throttle body, but everything seemed normal. Subaru engineers are supposed to look at my car in 2 weeks.

·
Registered
98 Posts
sleepy said:
did you try this?

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=63

register for scoobymods.com , btw. It's a GREAT source for info!
Do you mean this TSB about the screens in the oil lines leading to the variable cam timing system? http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/forums/showthread.php?t=643

The symptoms (high idle) I'm having don't match up with those listed in the TSB (rough idle or rpm does not increase smoothly).

In any case, I have not removed the screens from my 04 FXT yet, but the screens were discontinued in 05, so Foresterxtguy's new XT probably does not even have them.

My dealer called today and wants to try replacing the throttle body and clutch switch. My guess is the ECU program or the electronic throttle servo is to blame, but we'll see how it goes.

I wonder if anyone with a Cobb AP stage 1 has this problem.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i dont have a new forester it is an 04 xt but i am doing this soon. just need to order the parts. i thought the screens caused rough idle. i am running stage 2 with the vf39

·
Registered
98 Posts
Ah -- your first post mentioned "new turbo", and I mistook it to mean "new XT".

Anyhow, from what I can tell, the screens won't cause any problem at all unless they disintegrate and chunks get pushed into the hydraulic switches and jam them up so they can't vary the camshaft timing. If that happens, a rough idle could be the least of your problems.

If you're running Cobb stage 2 and have this high idle problem too, that probably rules out the ECU as the cause.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i dont think its the turbo. Retserof said that a bunch of foresters were having this problem.and that was before cobb released the new map. and now quite a few people on the forum have the vf39 in their cars and no troubles.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK i fixed the problem.... i disconnected the battery to put the new steering wheel in the car. and when i connected everything back up the car is back to normal. I mean really! i guess the ecu reset its self or something.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts