Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a Subaru Forester 2003 2.5XS. When the outside temperature ranges around -5C and 5C, I hear an annoying low volume high frequency noise coming from the hood. That sound is present whether the car is running or turned off.

Does anyone know what is causing such an annoying noise? And if so, is there a solution to eliminate that noise?

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
My' 04 with the factory security upgrade does this when it's raining hard. I think it's moisture in the alarm beeper. It goes away after it dries out on mine. Don't have a fix though. Maybe shield it a bit if this is indeed the cause of the sound.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Someone suggested that the temperature sensor could be the source of the annoying noise. Has anyone heard of that theory? If so, is there something that can be done about it?

·
Registered
549 Posts
I have a loud whistling noise when the car is moving fast could that be the same thing?

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,052 Posts
There is a small speaker that is for the Beep noise when you lock and unlock the car, that has been known to cause problems. Moisture gets in the harness and sometimes the beeper itself. I have a better pic somewhere but this is the best I can do now, you can see it in front of the radiator. There was a thread about this but I can't seem to find it now. Could be in the old database though.

Someone suggested that the temperature sensor could be the source of the annoying noise. Has anyone heard of that theory? If so, is there something that can be done about it?
That is just a thermocouple I doubt it can make a noise.

Attachments

·
Registered
549 Posts
peaty what do you think could be making a high pitch wizzin / humming noise ... anything know to cause the proplem at high speeds?

·
Registered
2004 XT
432 Posts
I have the same noise! not the high speed noise (that is the window seal) but the low volume high pitched ring from the radiator area! it will last all night sometimes! luckily, it does not appear to drain the battery! I would love to have an answer. i thought myself that it could be the horn or alarm speaker?

·
Registered
98 Posts
You may be able to locate the specific source of the low volume high pitched noise by listening through a 3 foot long section of old garden hose. Put one end to your ear and move the other end around the engine bay (with the engine turned off) until you find the source.

·
Registered
2004 FXT
830 Posts
I have the same problem... I remember a thread in the old db that Peaty posted that said there was a TSB or something about replacing the keyless entry beeper ?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Man, I love this forum. I have the same problem with my 2004 XT. This is exactly the same area I have on mine, but the whine goes away after the car is off for 5-10 minutes. We first noticed it after a rain/snow storm, so it looks like it should be replaced. Damn, all this happening at 39k (out of warranty). If I deactivate the chirp via the key fob, will this cut the power? Is there anything else I can do to prevent the sound?

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited 5MT
230 Posts
Back from the dead

Man, I love this forum. I have the same problem with my 2004 XT. This is exactly the same area I have on mine, but the whine goes away after the car is off for 5-10 minutes. We first noticed it after a rain/snow storm, so it looks like it should be replaced. Damn, all this happening at 39k (out of warranty). If I deactivate the chirp via the key fob, will this cut the power? Is there anything else I can do to prevent the sound?
So...I had the same problem. I took the beeper out, one of the connector pins on the beeper itself was corroded. I ground the plastic down, fluxed and re-soldered wires to make a direct contact then put a blob of epoxy and silicone to seal it all up. dialectric grease was used on all conectors, and WD40 was shot in the beeper to displace water.

Put it all back in, and no problem for 2 weeks...until it got -5C today and rained all yesterday and "Weeeeeeeeeeee" sound came back:tissue:...So it seems like I need a new beeper...

I'd like to know if disabling the beeper will cut power, or if I again need to remove my grill to get at this and cut it off/terminate the connector...

P

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited 5MT
230 Posts
So a couple weeks went by, with outdoor temps shooting up and down.
The noise came back briefly one day, but I think flooding the beeper with WD40 (insert "water dispersant formula 40" story here) did the trick, as it hasn't come back.

Then this weekend, I took my 5 yr old to his ski class on a warm winter day and walking through the parking lot I heard the same "Weeeeeeeeeeeee" sound and lo and behold a Forester was parked there, emitting the telltale noise.

I had a slight smile that scouring these forums I could at least come up with a band aid fix....

P

1 - 13 of 13 Posts