Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Forester L
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While not strictly a Forester question, thought you members might be able to give me some general advice.

I went to the local hardware store (Home D*pot) to buy some bolts so I could mount my bench vise on my bench and was AMAZED at the high cost of nuts, bolts, and washers. A stainless steel 1/2 x 2 1/2 inch bolt is $1.55 EACH! The nuts and fender washers were 75 cents and regular washers were 45 cents. The total cost for my project was $14. Since the vise was only $25 (5-inch craftsman on sale; I know not very high quality), this was a hard pill to swallow. I opted for zinc plated, which reduced the cost to around $7.

Why are nuts, bolts, and washers so expensive? If I ever lose my job, think I'll start a business selling used fasteners I'll scavenge from yard sales.

I checked prices on aliexpress.com and they weren't much better.

The cheapest deals I could find online were some Harbor Freight assortments for $7 or $8.

Anybody know of a good cheap source for fasteners?

·
Registered
non-subaru
911 Posts
Don't bother with home depot/lowes/harbor fright overpriced junk.
I get all my hardware from the Nutty Company. It is a CT institution.

They have a great inventory, good quality and really good prices.
On top of that, I can walk there from work. They are that close.
They take web orders.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,750 Posts
@GaryGood when I buy fasteners, not just for the Forester, but for all my DIY projects, I opt for stainless steel... unless I have to go with steel. I got tired of replacing rusty, seized fasteners! I really dislike rusty parts!

The best places I've found for sourcing stainless steel fasteners is eBay. One of the sellers I purchase from is albanycountyfasteners-ny. There are lots of other sellers!

As to mounting a bench vise. I have a heavy duty 5" Craftsman vise mounted to my workbench. I opted for steel, grade 8 fasteners for this specific task. I like stainless steel, but sometimes it makes sense to go with steel, which is stronger. Grade 8 steel fasteners are hardened. Besides, you don't need corrosion resistant stainless steel fasteners for a workbench vise.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts