Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester X
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are some aftermarket kits available for Fords and GM"s so you can have your high and low beams on at the same time when you have the brights on. Is there a way to do this on the Forester? If you pull back on the brights just a bit they both come on.

Thanks in advance. Chris

·
Official sf.org decal guy
2006 FXT
12,516 Posts
I know there are some aftermarket kits available for Fords and GM"s so you can have your high and low beams on at the same time when you have the brights on. Is there a way to do this on the Forester? If you pull back on the brights just a bit they both come on.

Thanks in advance. Chris
Update your profile. What year/model do you have? I know that on my MY06XT the lows stay on when I engage the highs.

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,887 Posts
Really? The common supply wires are already overloaded with just one beam.

Edit: The wiring diagrams I have for 2003 (Dual-filament H4 bulb) and 2007 (separate high and low bulbs) don't support the view that both beams come on with high. It's one or the other, even when you flash the highs.

·
Registered
2005 Forester X
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I have a 2005 Forester X.

I did find a thread on this from 2008 but it did not say anything about a mod for it. What I do not want to hear is why it takes your focus off of this or that. I have driven trucks that had this done to them and the extra light was great.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,887 Posts
The 2005s still use dual-filament H4 bulbs, right? I think it was 2006 when Foresters switched to separate bulbs. Lots of owners with H4s have encountered problems with melted sockets, even just from normal usage with stock bulbs. So for starters, you'd definitely have to go with the highest temp sockets you can find, or perhaps even just 1/4" crimp terminals with no plastic holding them together.

How about the bulbs themselves? Do you know if they're rated for use with both beams at the same time? If you can't find authoritative info about this, you could set up a bench test. Wear safety glasses!

Then there's the matter of the flimsiness of the stock wires. We lose over two volts already in the stock circuitry.

I think you would be in for a totally new set of heavy gauge wires, relays, and sockets. Typical complicators in driving relays from the stock wiring are interactions with DRLs and with the fog light relay. If you don't care about DRLs you can disconnect them and drive one relay from the stock low beam circuitry. It's a bit harder to drive a relay from the high beam circuitry, as Subaru uses the path through the high beam filament in conjunction with the fog light relay. You can get around this by paralleling your relay with an appropriate resistor to bypass enough current to drive the fog light relay, or you can ditch the stock fog light wiring completely, and set up your own there as well.

Connect one relay to respond to the low beam condition and drive the low beams. Connect two to respond to the high beam condition and drive both beams, one from each.

Exclusive of the simultaneous high/low beam thing, I plan such a wholesale replacement (augmentation?) of the stock circuitry when the warm weather arrives.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts