Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 304 Posts

·
Registered
'09 Forester X Ltd 4EAT
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this idea from the "Likes/Dislikes" thread started earlier.

Has anyone found a "hidden feature" in the Forester that many/most people may not know about? Post them here..

I'll start.

One rainy weekend day, I noticed that the rear wiper would wipe constantly, even switched to intermittent mode. I already thought I had electrical gremlins. But then, I realized that the trannie was shifted into reverse. When I shifted to "D", intermittent mode kicked back in.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,106 Posts
I like the idea of this thread and am looking forward to seeing what comes out of it. I've given you Reputation points for it!

I would like to suggest that the info that comes out here will be of greatest value when it's characterized as to the specific model and year of Forester that it applies to. The easiest way to do that is to put it into the signature. Click User CP (CP = Control Panel) in the tan bar above, then select Edit Signature from the choices over at the left and fill it in. Model, year, and trans type will do the job. Then go back to User CP, select Edit Options, scroll down, and make sure that Show Signatures is checked so that you can see everybody else's.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,545 Posts
I didn't know this:

It is possible to activate or deactivate the
movement of the meter needles and
gauge needles that takes place when the
ignition switch is turned to the “ON”
position.
Turn the ignition switch to the “LOCK” or
“Acc” position.
Press the trip knob to show “ ” or “ ”
on the odometer/trip meter display.
The display can be switched as shown in
the following illustration by pressing the
trip knob.
*: “ ” or “ ” cannot be displayed when
the ignition switch is in the “ON” position.
To change the current setting, press the
trip knob for at least 2 seconds.

I won't take credit for it it was posted by: jkoppee.........Thanks!

·
Official sf.org decal guy
2006 FXT
12,516 Posts
One rainy weekend day, I noticed that the rear wiper would wipe constantly, even switched to intermittent mode. I already thought I had electrical gremlins. But then, I realized that the trannie was shifted into reverse. When I shifted to "D", intermittent mode kicked back in.
I'm gonna have to try that.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
43 Posts
Makes sense, Subaru thought that "Hey, if by chance it's raining and my rear wipers are on intermittent, It would be nice if backing up it would automatically wipe continuously to help me see better", talk about a car really helping the driver.

Mines a 5M/T, I'm going to find out.

·
The Modfather
2016 BRZ Limited - Manual 6 Speed Manual
8,096 Posts

·
The Modfather
8,096 Posts
You can put your HVAC system into diagnositc mode on the auto climate system in 03 - ?? (not sure what year it stops)

see attached

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,083 Posts
the rear wiper thing does work on the manual, tried it yesterday and it is confirmed (on the '09 at least)

Another thing to add as not really a hidden feature but something hidden. The fuze for the puddle lights (also map lights, radio and keyless entry relay) are under the hood and labeled BACKUP (figure that one out)

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
30,110 Posts
Another "hidden" feature that some already know about... if you lock the shifter in the 2nd gear position on the 4EAT, the car will skip first and start in second gear from a standstill to help gain traction on slippery surfaces like snowy/icy roads.

·
The Modfather
8,096 Posts
Another "hidden" feature that some already know about... if you lock the shifter in the 2nd gear position on the 4EAT, the car will skip first and start in second gear from a standstill to help gain traction on slippery surfaces like snowy/icy roads.

I think it also locks the split into 50:50, it use to anyway...

·
Registered
02 Foz 4eat
5,548 Posts
I've noticed that if I pass gas in our Forester with the cloth seats the smell tends to linger a little longer than when I do it in our Forester with the leather seats. However, the leather seats make for easier clean up.

:icon_eek:

Sorry, I'm a little punchy today.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4eat
4,595 Posts
auto A/C and recirc

If you press and hold either the A/C button or recirc button, it will flash then either stay on or turn off. It's now in auto mode.

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT
3,727 Posts
I've noticed that if I pass gas in our Forester with the cloth seats the smell tends to linger a little longer than when I do it in our Forester with the leather seats. However, the leather seats make for easier clean up.

:icon_eek:

Sorry, I'm a little punchy today.

:huh:

LOL

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,106 Posts
I can't check out the rear wiper thing on my Forester because it's in New Hampshire and I'm presently in Maryland with my wife's Impreza. But a quick look at the wiring diagrams suggests that it's not a feature on my 2003 (and her 2005 is a sedan with no rear wiper). Wiring for the backup lights is extraordinarily simple with no peculiar wires heading off the page to the wipers. Wipers are controlled by one of those inscrutable 'integrated modules,' but again nothing seems to be coming in that would be associated with backing up.

I do see a place in the diagram where a SPDT relay suitably configured would do the trick. I think we've got the makings of a mod here —once I get back home and tackle a whole bunch of other stuff that needs to be done as well.

1 - 20 of 304 Posts