Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I live in Australia and just purchased my first Foz, it's 2.5 DOHC turbo 5 speed. Now it's got HID XENON low beam globes in it, just wondering if anyone can tell me if they are factory fitted or aftermarket? Cheers everyone

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,357 Posts
@Kev Stankovski I see this is your first forum post, so welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:
For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Public Profile". Specifically, the "About Me" section (Edit Your Details). This displays every time you make a post on the forum. This will provide information members may need to reply to your forum posts. You can edit this field via the "User Control Panel", aka, "User CP.

If you're using a mobile device, you may need to use a laptop or desktop computer to see all the user tools.
Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT 5MT
22 Posts
Are the ballasts hanging outside of the light somewhere (aftermarket) or are they attached to the bottom of the light, round, and basically hidden (stock)?

·
Registered
982 Posts
Ballasts stuck to the bottom of the light doesn’t necessarily make them OEM. Many aftermarket retrofitter use the stock denso ballasts and fit them to aftermarket housings that can accomodate them despite coming set up as a regular reflected-halogen setup. My car came with a custom retrofit exactly like this.

·
Registered
15 Forester CVT
277 Posts
Your best bet here is to remove one of the bulbs and look for any markings on it that may indicate whether it is an OE brand like Philips, Osram, Koito, Hella, etc. or if it's unlabeled or has a not-OE manufacturer name printed on it.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT 5MT
22 Posts
Ballasts stuck to the bottom of the light doesn’t necessarily make them OEM. Many aftermarket retrofitter use the stock denso ballasts and fit them to aftermarket housings that can accomodate them despite coming set up as a regular reflected-halogen setup. My car came with a custom retrofit exactly like this.
The round ballasts that twist into the matching circle under the headlight?

That's, uh, not very common

·
Registered
982 Posts
They didnt twist, they were attached via three screws; denso units I believe. But there was a mating circle like you describe that the ballasts fit into. IIRC there were three small screws outside the circumference of the mating circle that bored into three matching recievers placed for them. Wish I had pics but do not. If my memory served me the ballasts pressed into the bore and then you secured them via the screws thereafter.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT 5MT
22 Posts
@The Tinman Rides Again You may be right on the screws part. I remember now when I did my 06WRX, the TRS retrofit kit offered came with that round style ballast and, other than OEM, I know of no other kit that is like that. That same retrofit kit is not offered (that I am aware of) for the Forester even though that circle for a ballast is present. That is why I said what I said.

·
Registered
2004 Forester STI SG9 MT6
8 Posts
Might be OEM, might not be OEM. Really. Just saying that you bought a 2.5 forester doesn't say all that much by itself since atleast SG-series of JDM Foresters came with HID and non-HID setups out of factory. I think the only way we are going to be able to give you a good answer is that if you provide more information regarding your vehicle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts