Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Scion xB
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a few days of driving the new car, I am already eager to start changing things out. Lined up in a few weeks to have the car wrapped in matte lime green vinyl. For now though the headlights seem to be a real weak point. Was looking at going with HID conversions on the headlights and fog lights. That was until someone at the local shop showed me some new LED headlight conversions with small fan's attached to the back of them. Anyone ever done anything like this on their car's? Haven't heard much feedback on the LED bulb conversions and was hoping someone here has had experience with them.

·
Registered
2014 Forester Limited CVT
50 Posts
All I know is those LED headlight replacements are expensive. Would love to see how they work too.

·
Banned
2013 2.5x auto
268 Posts
I installed an hid conversion kit on my low beams and wow what a diff! I agree that Subaru head lights are ehhh.
Ddmtuning has a sale on the kits. Get the 55watt kit. The fan on the back of the housing is a bunch of poo. My bulbs are less hot then the oem halogens. The hid kits last allot longer then halogen and a set of new bulbs is only $15. I looked long and hard into the led bulbs and they aren't nearly as bright and I have had mixed reviews on longevity. I did buy all my bulbs on that same site for interior and exterior. Very nice output. Oh and I got the 5k color for the headlights and it's a nice bright white. 6k is what I had in my last Subaru and it had too much blue for me. I strongly recommend hids. Take about 1-1.5hr to install and last for about 50-70k miles (the bulbs)

·
Registered
2008 X 5MT
459 Posts
I installed an hid conversion kit on my low beams and wow what a diff! I agree that Subaru head lights are ehhh.
Ddmtuning has a sale on the kits. Get the 55watt kit. The fan on the back of the housing is a bunch of poo. My bulbs are less hot then the oem halogens. The hid kits last allot longer then halogen and a set of new bulbs is only $15. I looked long and hard into the led bulbs and they aren't nearly as bright and I have had mixed reviews on longevity. I did buy all my bulbs on that same site for interior and exterior. Very nice output. Oh and I got the 5k color for the headlights and it's a nice bright white. 6k is what I had in my last Subaru and it had too much blue for me. I strongly recommend hids. Take about 1-1.5hr to install and last for about 50-70k miles (the bulbs)
Without projectors? I would strongly advise against doing this. You'll end up blinding everybody in front of you, which is quite dangerous (and raging).

·
Vendor
2017 Camaro SS 6spd Manual
915 Posts
Our HID conversion kits use a 35 watt ballast vs. the 55 watt kits other companies sell.

The 35 watt kits provide a nice increase in light output, without blinding other drivers or creating excessive glare.

Projectors are the best setup, but they are much more expensive and require you to modify your factory housings.

Our HID conversion kits work well in your factory headlights

Feel free to PM me if you need more information

Thanks!
Nick C.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i CVT
320 Posts
Our HID conversion kits use a 35 watt ballast vs. the 55 watt kits other companies sell.

The 35 watt kits provide a nice increase in light output, without blinding other drivers or creating excessive glare.

Projectors are the best setup, but they are much more expensive and require you to modify your factory housings.

Thanks!
Nick C.
Are there before and after pics somewhere?

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,064 Posts

Thanks!
Nick C.
Any more glare than what the factory puts out is unexceptionable, thus the reason HID kits are not legal. HIDs are still about 3 times as bright as a halogen bulb. Even if it puts the glare in the same location as the factory halogen bulbs(which it can't due to shape differences of the halogen filament VS a HID arc), the glare is still 3 times brighter than it was intended to be.

"Works well" is not always the same as right and properly.

Daniel Stern Lighting Thinking of converting to HID?

Daniel Stern Lighting Automotive Lighting Regulations: News and Views

NHTSA response to Mr. Simon S. Shih, 4 Teal, Irvine, CA

NHTSA response to Mr. Jeff Deetz, Sales Manager, Santeca Electronics, Inc., 7215 East 21<sup>st</sup> Street, Suite D, Indianapolis, IN 46219

NHTSA response to Mr. Song M. Kim, C.M.O./Fanteks, Inc., 580 Sylvan Ave., Suite 1A, Englewood Cliffs, NJ
HID conversion kits are illegal if any item in the kit does not comply with Federal requirements for vehicle lighting equipment. Please read the letter carefully and apply our analysis to the components of the kits you are selling. If one or more of these components does not comply with FMVSS No. 108, then you should cease the sale and distribution of this equipment. Your failure to do so could make your company liable for civil penalties for violations of 49 U.S.C. 30112(a). If your company manufactured or imported noncompliant HID conversion kits for resale, your company is required to notify this agency, dealers, purchasers, and owners of the kits and to remedy the noncompliance in accordance with 49 U.S.C. 30118-30120 and 49 CFR Parts 573 and 577. I should advise you that we know of no HID conversion kit that can be certified by its manufacturer as complying with FMVSS No. 108.
Diode Dynamics, are your kits certified by you or their manufacture to comply with FMVSS No. 108?

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i CVT
320 Posts
Any more glare than what the factory puts out is unexceptionable, thus the reason HID kits are not legal. HIDs are still about 3 times as bright as a halogen bulb. Even if it puts the glare in the same location as the factory halogen bulbs(which it can't due to shape differences of the halogen filament VS a HID arc), the glare is still 3 times brighter than it was intended to be.

NHTSA response to Mr. Jeff Deetz, Sales Manager, Santeca Electronics, Inc., 7215 East 21<sup>st</sup> Street, Suite D, Indianapolis, IN 46219

NHTSA response to Mr. Song M. Kim, C.M.O./Fanteks, Inc., 580 Sylvan Ave., Suite 1A, Englewood Cliffs, NJ

Diode Dynamics, are your kits certified by you or their manufacture to comply with FMVSS No. 108?
Interesting read. Anyone has a link to "H1 light source specification filed in the Part 564 docket (#3397)"?

·
Registered
2008 X 5MT
459 Posts

Thanks!
Nick C.
Please, explain to us how this is possible...

Light output is not the same, light source is not at the exact same place, thus, creating glare (excessive or not, glare is glare).

You'll put a shield under the bulb? Fine, it'll still create glare.

You'll lower the headlights? Fine, it'll still create glare.

There's no way for me to understand how a legit company (and sponsor of this forum on top of that) would recommend putting HIDs in STOCK reflectors that are NOT designed for it, else than to make money. What about safety?

Recommend something illegal? Interesting.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,064 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
2010 Scion xB
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I ended up having a local shop toss in the LED lights and was surprised at how bright they were compared to stock. I wish I had some before hand pictures, but the difference was night and day. While they cover up the road well, they really don't feel like the project as well in distance compared to the HID's that I have had on other cars in the past. I even went so far as to having them installed in my fog lights as well. For the high beams it would be too blinding to go with the HID's unrestricted, so I put in some PIAA bulbs and called it good. Will have to wander outside and grab a picture now to explain.

·
Registered
MY07 Forester 2.0X, 2.5XT 5M, 4EAT
333 Posts

I expressed similar concerns and asked a similar question about a year ago but these got censored instead of getting answered. I guess something to with being a "site sponsor"...

·
Registered
333 Posts
I ended up having a local shop toss in the LED lights and was surprised at how bright they were compared to stock. I wish I had some before hand pictures, but the difference was night and day. While they cover up the road well, they really don't feel like the project as well in distance compared to the HID's that I have had on other cars in the past. I even went so far as to having them installed in my fog lights as well. For the high beams it would be too blinding to go with the HID's unrestricted, so I put in some PIAA bulbs and called it good. Will have to wander outside and grab a picture now to explain.
You just bought a new car, why didn't you get stock HID? These kind of upgrades can bring serious trouble upon you with insurance etc.

·
Registered
2010 Scion xB
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
You just bought a new car, why didn't you get stock HID? These kind of upgrades can bring serious trouble upon you with insurance etc.
Because to my understanding the stock HID was only packaged with the EyeSight package. In what ways can the upgrades bring me serious trouble with insurance?

I understand that the modification could be deemed illegal and if I get a ticket for it, I will happily pay it every single time. It is a small price at being able to see better when driving on the road. I travel back and forth to a state to the south of me called Oregon and have had more than my fair share of run ins with hitting large animals. If the ticket is basically the CODB, then I am fine with it if it makes my commutes which are often in the evening hours, that much safer.

·
Registered
333 Posts
In what ways can the upgrades bring me serious trouble with insurance?
I understand that the modification could be deemed illegal and if I get a ticket for it, I will happily pay it every single time. It is a small price at being able to see better when driving on the road. I travel back and forth to a state to the south of me called Oregon and have had more than my fair share of run ins with hitting large animals. If the ticket is basically the CODB, then I am fine with it if it makes my commutes which are often in the evening hours, that much safer.
Because they contravene regulations and are illegal, and often dangerous. You pretty much have it explained above. This is also a good read on the subject BMW 540i 540 xenon conversions
Should anything happen and insurance company assessor found these in your headlights instead of stock bulbs they could get very excited...

·
Registered
2010 Scion xB
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That definitely is a good read and I see your point. It is just something that I choose to overlook or push the limits on. If someone could come out with a DOT approved high intensity replacement bulb that rivaled or came close to the same light output, I would probably change out the LED's. Most of the time though I sit in bumper to bumper traffic, so it really doesn't matter, but I am able to justify the risk for the times I do need that extra light. It really is a slippery slope though. I will consult a couple local LEO's and see what there take is on them too. Always great to have more than one perspective on thing.

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited 4-speed Auto
1,979 Posts
That definitely is a good read and I see your point. It is just something that I choose to overlook or push the limits on. If someone could come out with a DOT approved high intensity replacement bulb that rivaled or came close to the same light output, I would probably change out the LED's. Most of the time though I sit in bumper to bumper traffic, so it really doesn't matter, but I am able to justify the risk for the times I do need that extra light. It really is a slippery slope though. I will consult a couple local LEO's and see what there take is on them too. Always great to have more than one perspective on thing.
Local LEO's are seldom good sources of information on such laws, unless they have had specific training on them. Same way with firearms laws ... lots of opinions, often conflicting with the law actually says.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i CVT
320 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i CVT
320 Posts
Because to my understanding the stock HID was only packaged with the EyeSight package. In what ways can the upgrades bring me serious trouble with insurance?

I'm not a lawyer...anyway...here's scenario I believe is possible: you're involved in head on collision. Other party claims that they were blinded by the glare from your headlights.

You are deemed partially culpable if your headlights are not DOT compliant (due to HID/LED upgrade) vs you are off the hook in case your lights are stock.

·
Registered
2003 forester 2.0 xt at
698 Posts
How about a retrofit? Someone here has done that to 14.
I just did mine (on a 03) and it took 3 hours. Cost me 110$ off ebay (i guess morimoto knockoff) but they are amazing!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts